Sako 85 Mag Box Length - help

sbw50

FNG
For current owners of Sako 85 rifles, could someone please confirm the internal dimension of the magazine for the actions 85 SM (i.e. 300 WSM, 270 WSM) and 85 M (i.e. .270, 30-06, 6.5x55)?

I am wondering whether Sako rifles are constrained in the mag box dimensions for loading out longer bullets. In some of these chamberings I am aware that one may be constrained by the slower rifling twist rates with some of the longer bullets but I thought I would at least start with the mag box internal dimension. Thank you

BjornF16

WKR
My Sako WSM is off getting a new stock...but before I sent it off I was checking mag with some dummy rounds I had loaded for an Accurate Mag from my previous R700.

It wouldn't fit the Sako mag. The internal dimension of the Accurate Mag was about 3.05". My COAL that would reliably work in that magazine was 2.960" (from my reloading notes). It looks as though I'll have to shave off about 0.030" off that for the Sako magazine.

OP
S

sbw50

FNG
Many thanks for your reply. On a different topic, may I ask where you are getting an aftermarket Sako stock? It doesn't seem like there are many options for Sakos. McMillan no longer inlets for Sakos, neither does AG nor Manners, to my knowledge.

jjjones7

FNG
I run my 300 WSM in a sako 85 at 2.900. It’s really close if I could seat it out much farther maybe 10-15 thou more would be about it. The throat is fairly short in a 300 WSM anyhow and the jump seems just right for a 200 grain ELD-X. I’m running a 21” tube with a suppressor. With a healthy dose of 7828SSC I hit a good accuracy node at 2850. For what it is I’m extremely happy.

Another option for the stock is a fierce edge or fury model stock. It fits the sako 85 perfectly. That’s what I’m running it’s comfortable stiff and pretty light.

OP
S

sbw50

FNG
I run my 300 WSM in a sako 85 at 2.900. It’s really close if I could seat it out much farther maybe 10-15 thou more would be about it. The throat is fairly short in a 300 WSM anyhow and the jump seems just right for a 200 grain ELD-X. I’m running a 21” tube with a suppressor. With a healthy dose of 7828SSC I hit a good accuracy node at 2850. For what it is I’m extremely happy.

Another option for the stock is a fierce edge or fury model stock. It fits the sako 85 perfectly. That’s what I’m running it’s comfortable stiff and pretty light.
Excellent information. Thank you.