Sako 85 rail

dth_

FNG
I know this topic has been beat to death on here as well as lots of other forums, but do any of you Sako 85 owners have any experience running a rail on your 85? I'm shying away running the optilocks just due to the idea of locking them down on a tapered dovetail and being limited on where your front ring can sit before pushing your windage out. I know tons of guys love the optilocks so maybe its unwarranted.

I found a rail from Recknagel that seats into the tapered dovetail and locks down with set screws. It's cheaper than the rail from Near, and will save having to tap and drill the receiver. I've got a 40mm Leupold VX3 I am planning to throw on for now, and am hoping if I go with the rail set up and low rings, the scope won't sit too high and will still clear the front of the rail.

So, any of you railed out Sako guys... Did you run into ejection issues or lose the ability to topload (I have a 300wsm)? Does the scope seem to sit in a good spot and still be as compact as possible? Or, is the rail just more of a PITA than it's worth and just go with the optilocks?

I use the Optilocks on my 85. Overall I like them and they are solid. I have toyed with the idea of putting a rail on, if was to put one on I would go with a Near rail. I believe his machining, materials and design to be the best of what is out there to choose from. I'm sure I'll get one one day and give it a try.

I use the talley fixed steel rings. They still drive on like the optiloks. No worries with them moving for me..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt hesitate to spend the extra on the near setup. He build be a custom 1 piece mount for my weatherby. And its sexy and very well made

And after all, who doesn’t want sexy. I showed my new rail on my finnlight to my wife and she immediately dropped her panties.

Seriously he makes good stuff.