Sako 85

Zbowman1

WKR
So I was in one of our local gun shops today browsing the gun racks when the sales guy asked me if I needed to see anything. I have been contemplating a new rifle for elk (not that I need one, but you guys no how it go's:cool:) so I asked what they had in 30 cals. He showed me a couple of guns, nothing that peeked my interest. I said thanks and was about to walk out when he says I have one more you should look at. So the guy hands me a Sako 85 finnlite (spelling?) All I have to say is Wow. Loved the way the gun felt and I loved the action. Any reason I shouldn't buy this gun? I have never owned a Sako or even shot one. What do you guys think? Pros vs cons

flat rock

FNG
Last year I purchased a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7 RM and the only con I can find is the cost. You can save some coin with the Tikka rifles as they are made by Sako in the same factory.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wanting one of those Finn lights for quite a while, but have never actually seen one nor do I have the coin right now. They looks amazing though.

sako 85 hunter gives me wood. been lurking on a 6.5x55 just a want not a need, but you know how that hurts the sako to tika is like a ford to a lincoln. too much plastic on the tika for me....euro optic is big seller on gun broker for the sako's. at least a good place to browse . either web site.....

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Thanks for the comments. Ya, I no what you are saying on the price. I had a bit of sticker shock even when I left the store. I haven't gone back in yet. The wife said I might do some thing stupid :rolleyes:

If for some reason I do end up buying this rifle I will write up a full report.

I haven't bought a new rifle in a couple of years so what would you guys recommend. I no this is like asking what flavor of ice cream you guys like so give me some Pro and cons for rifles that you actually own. I am looking for something in a 30 cal. Just because I don't have one

308 was my deer gun in wi. moved to ga and it is a bit much so went down to 25-08 souper and 243 . the 308 is my choice for any usa deer. if needed would jump to 338 fed. if ever elk or bear hunted would go with 300 wm . only reload so ammo is not an issue . if buying out of a store would probably go with 30-06 as most gas stations in the northland that sell ammo will have that......

I have the finnlight in a 270wsm, it's a great rifle, cycles and shoots well. That being said felt recoil seams stiffer than that of my browning a-bolt in a 300wsm which also shoots very well. Have you considered the Browning X-bolt stainless stalker. Not much of a weight difference but a huge price difference.

As noted by Mad Mountain Mike, don't overlook the browning x-bolt stainless stalker. I got one last year in 300 wsm and love it. I was debating between it and the Sako, but at almost half the price I felt like I was giving up very little, leaving me funds to mount a Z3 swaro 3-10 on it.