Sako A7 Roughtech

Posted this on another forum to get more answers- hope you don’t mind.

Saw a Sako A7 “Big Game” (apparently also called the roughtech) at the store and was very impressed. A long barrel (over 24”) and a fluted stainless barrel. I’m seeing different weights for this gun online and was wondering if anyone here has one and knows the actual weight. I’m looking at a 30-06.

While I’m asking questions, what are your thoughts about the A7, particularly in comparison with Tikka rifles?

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t help with your question but I did see that bass pro shops has these on clearance so might be worth looking into if you decide to go that route.
053aaee3b805ca46a0037e55fffed116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
It was even cheaper at my local gun shop - hadn’t been considering a Sako, but now I’m doing a ton of research. A google search for “Sako A7 ejection issues” is pretty discouraging- now I’m thinking I was on the right track looking at tikkas.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Never had one but I'll admit they have had my interest for a while. One thing to consider is that the Sako A7 has a 5 shot sub MOA guarantee, which is pretty unique. Most big box rifle brands, including Tikka are only willing to give a 3 shot guarantee.

I had one in 300 win. Couldn’t get it under about 1 3/4 group with multiple types of ammo so traded it in where I bought it and they sent it back. I think that is rare though and other than that it was a really nice gun. There is bound to be a bad one every once in a while. I liked the fit and feel and it always cycled perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My buddy got one from sportsman’s in 30-06, it seems pretty solid, we always joke that it’s the exact same thing as my m70 extreme weather just in the sako version. For the 700 dollars he paid I’d get one, at the thousand dollar price point....I’d pass.

Carried one in nz this last year for 2 weeks.

Shot a half dozen or so animals with it.

Wouldn’t say they are appreciably better or worse then a tikka.

Kinda like the mag latch system a bit better on the sako and the metal feed lips... but to be fair never had a problem with the tikka either.

Same sorta okay stock.. they work fine but a bit too low in the comb for my tastes.. I do like the pistol grip insert for the new t3x models.

For a true alpine/mountain setup probably not the first choice.. but if ur keen for that -06 based case a bit extra heft will tame the recoil and make it more shootable in the field.

And at 700$ you won’t have to take too much of a haircut if you decide to flip.

Had one in 270. Heavy, IMO. Tried 5 types of decent/premium factory ammo and got one to shoot close to MOA. Killed one elk and a deer with it and sent it packing, got a lighter Tikka.

The one we used wasn't the most accurate rifle but it shot fine. Hornady whitetail ammo was right at around 1" for 5 shots

With the suppressor and bipod she was a heavy bastard, but once it was strapped to the pack not much difference.

Just a wee meat buck for the mates freezer. IMG_1124.jpg

For some reason the bolt throw on A7s and 85s is rediculously high. In order to cycle your bolt you have to use really high rings even with a basic 3-9 scope. If you like a good cheek weld then not very good. I was considering an A7 as well but not after playing with a packaged one from Cabelas.

I'm actually a big fan of the A7. It perplexes me that some of these guys are having accuracy issues. Same barrels as the tikkas, which are known shooters, and have a 5 shot MOA guarantee. I have a sako a7 range in 300 win mag- consistent sup MOA 5 shot groups. half MOA 5 shot with hand loads are not uncommon. 10 shot groups have averaged around MOA.

I like the action quite a bit- smooth 3 lug. As far as bolt throw being high, I dont see how that is possible with the 60-70 degree bolt throw.

I will say aftermarket support is lacking- tikkas have much better support.

I had a Sako A5 that never shot, and it was accepted returned and accepted by Beretta under warranty. They confirmed the barrel was messed up. If you ran a patch through the breech area was tight, the middle was sloppy loose, and the muzzle was tight.

Just because yours shoots well doesn’t mean they all do. I do have a Tikka that is a hammer, will shoot in the .4’s. I’d buy another Tikka or Sako and just send them down the line if they didn’t shoot to my expectation.

ericF

WKR
You aren't limited to using high rings as the above poster says. I've have 3 different A7's in 300 WSM, 243, and 22-250 and I have Medium rings on every single one without issues. The only reason I don't have low on there is because the Signature Zee Rings with inserts that I use only come in Medium and above.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I had one in 308, no complaints. Shot 178 eldx factory ammo sub moa consistently. I had medium 30mm talley lightweights and a vx5 3-15 and had no ejection issues or bolt throw issues. Only reason I got rid of it was for that much weight I'd rather have more steam so picked up a couple 300 wsm's to play with.

Ironically my Sako was more accurate with American white tail ammo and less accurate with ammunition that was double the cost.