Sako Finnlight 1.0 vs new Tikka T3x

A buddy is looking for a 300 win mag. He was zeroing in on a new veil tikka t3x for ~$1100. Then he found a new old stock Sako Finnlight 1.0 for $1400. Not the Finnlight 2 which seems to go for around $2300.

Any thoughts between those 2 options. Is the Finnlight worth the extra $300? Any key points of difference?

wildcat33

WKR
IMO the tikka veil is a 650$ gun with 450$ muzzle brake on the end. Sako 85 is a higher level of fit and finish. Whether or not that translates to higher value is in eyes of buyer. I love tikkas but I’d take an 85 any day.

AkRyan

WKR
I shoot nothing but tikkas...that said I would never pay over $800 for one off the rack. Sako is better for sure but if its a fluted barrel just be careful banging it around. Or go get a tikka t3 for 650-750 and then upgrade what you dont like.

I was able to grab a tikka veil on sale a bit, so I went that direction. I wanted a fluted bolt, a little heavier barrel (the veil has a heavier barrel and is fluted). The barrel fluting was a bonus (but not a need). And I was going to likely get a larger bolt handle too. Lastly, I was going to get it threaded too. I’m not sure about the barrel, but my fluted bolt and cerakoted action is stainless. Based on my view of the threads for the muzzle brake, I’m
Pretty sure it stainless too. It’s a 5/8 x24 thread too so will be easy to upgrade if needed. All these extras provide enough value to justify the increase in price for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sako finnlight is in a completely different class above the Tikka. The would be work fine, but the finnlight is much nicer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Sako 85 has a larger and much more accommodating, staggered mag box 3.735", compared to the Tikkas single stack mag at 3.37". This alone is worth it in my opinion since he is buying it chambered in .300 win mag.
The Sako has a three lug bolt compared to the two lug on the Tikka and the action on the Sako will be so buttery smooth. You can also open the bolt while on saftey, which is a nice feature. Some people don't like the scope mounting options for the Sako but it's never been a problem for me. I'm actually fond of the Optilock base ring combo. If a rail was desired I'd go with a Near. Also the factory stock isn't anything to write home about, but it’s not bad or terrible either. I own both and in the end I say go with the Sako, there's a lot to like.

OP
Desk Jockey
I shoot nothing but tikkas...that said I would never pay over $800 for one off the rack. Sako is better for sure but if its a fluted barrel just be careful banging it around. Or go get a tikka t3 for 650-750 and then upgrade what you dont like.
are you finding the new t3x veil or other with last years upgrades for $800? I havent exactly been pricing them but I can’t recall seeing one under $1000 locally.

Antares

WKR
You might look for a Roughtech. Same gun as the Veil but cheaper (not cerakoted). I got mine new for $850. I wanted the heavier barrel with the 5/8-24 threads.

AkRyan

WKR
The Sako 85 has a larger and much more accommodating, staggered mag box 3.735", compared to the Tikkas single stack mag at 3.37". This alone is worth it in my opinion since he is buying it chambered in .300 win mag.
The Sako has a three lug bolt compared to the two lug on the Tikka and the action on the Sako will be so buttery smooth. You can also open the bolt while on saftey, which is a nice feature. Some people don't like the scope mounting options for the Sako but it's never been a problem for me. I'm actually fond of the Optilock base ring combo. If a rail was desired I'd go with a Near. Also the factory stock isn't anything to write home about, but it’s not bad or terrible either. I own both and in the end I say go with the Sako, there's a lot to like.
So for twice the cost you get a 60deg bolt throw and staggered magazine? I know sako are very nice but for 90% of people the tikka fits the bill. I actually got into tikka because my buddy had a sako. Ive built 6 now and after he saw them and handled them he went to tikka. Spend the extra money on a really nice scope imo

So for twice the cost you get a 60deg bolt throw and staggered magazine? I know sako are very nice but for 90% of people the tikka fits the bill. I actually got into tikka because my buddy had a sako. Ive built 6 now and after he saw them and handled them he went to tikka. Spend the extra money on a really nice scope imo
The important part was the length when it came to the magazine, not single vs. staggered. Not to mention the actions feeding/ejection port is larger as well. That is very useful and important when it comes to the larger longer magnums, especially if you want to feed them long heavy bullets. The Tikkas are great, I love like my Tikka rifles but I wouldn't buy one chambered in 300 win mag for the reasons stated above. If I had to go 30 cal in a Tikka platform it would be 300WSM, again for the reasons stated above.

using sako's proprietary rings is a turn off for me.

I'd probably give an S20 a test drive before a finnlight with their own rings/bases.

using sako's proprietary rings is a turn off for me.

I'd probably give an S20 a test drive before a finnlight with their own rings/bases.
You are definitely not alone regarding the Sako rings. I too was bothered by them at first. Especially trying to get the right size in the right finish (at least at the time it was). It was a PIA. After using them for some years now I have since changed my mind about them as they are very solid and I do like how nice they are on scopes. But I do still get the turnoff for most folks. Additionally, an 85 paired with the Near rail there's not much you can't do as far as ring options.