Sako Finnlight 7mm-08 Reloading Questions

wseidel

WKR
I have a Sako Finnlight in 7mm-08 that I'm starting to develop a load for. I'm using 140 grain Accubonds with Varget. I've settled on 43.0 grains (based on groupings using charges from 41.0 - 44.6) and an overall length of close to 2.90. My groups are approximately 1 - 1.25 inches at 100 yards...not bad but may be due to my level of skill. I'm looking for advice on any additional ways to reduce my group size (i.e. experiment with OAL) from anyone with a similar rifle/caliber. Thank you.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Different powder, different bullet, different seating depth. I’ve found powder and bullets to have the biggest impact on accuracy. That should be a .5” or better gun. Give H4350 a try if you have some.

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thanks, Mulyhuntr. I originally went with Varget due to a number of recommendations (many found their sweet spot at 42 grains). I will consider trying H4350 but will try and stay with the 140 Accubond as I use the same bullet in my 7mm Mauser and have a lot on hand :) Anyone have additional thoughts - especially if you reload for the same Sako Finnlight rifle and caliber? Thank you.

JGRaider

WKR
I would definitely adjust seating depths before switching powders personally. MY Tikkas (3) have all liked 140AB's and Varget best, at 2.803 which was the max length the mag box would allow. Adjust seating depths in increments of .03 and see what happens.

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thanks, JGRaider. My seating depths have been a bit longer (2.88 -2.90) so maybe I will try incrementally shorter OALs - 2.87, 2.84 and 2.81 - and see what happens in terms of accuracy. Again, my variability in accuracy is as likely to be my shooting ability as it is the load...but I'll continue to practice. Thank you.

AB and Varget... you need to work on your shooting IMO. That's a heluva combination in my Tikka.

If you don't know what "follow through" is when shooting a rifle, do some research and practice.

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thanks, Newtosavage. I'm continuing to work on my shooting skills - dry firing with a snap cap, working on follow-through and more range time. Appreciated...

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I've been loading 7mm08 for many years. Mine loves H414 with 120 ballistic tips.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the Sako, but my 7mm08 likes H4350 with the 140 grain bullets. In my experience, Nosler Ballistic Tips group the same, point of impact doesn't change, and are cheaper than the Accubonds. Look for blems or over runs at Shooters Pro Shop. If you plan on shooting a lot, you will save some coin. Also, I experimented with some 120 grain Ballistic Tips and Varget. I found 44.0 grains in mine shot under 1/2" at 100 yards. I will be revisiting that combo before deer season this year. Good luck!

dude1000

FNG
I have been using IMR 4895 in reduced loads for my son on both Nosler 120 BT and 140 Accubonds and found sub MOA at 41gr loads as well with a Ruger American. I have a Tikka and Sako in other calibers and found both have very long throats and liked being loaded +-@ .130 off the lands.

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thanks, Sekora, CHWine and dude1000, for your recommendations. I did purchase some H4350 (for the future) but will continue to work with Varget...and work on my shooting fundamentals. Incidentally, I have purchased 200 of the seconds from Shooters Pro Shop and I agree that this is a great way to save a bit on quality components.

eem228

FNG
Been getting good results with H4895 and IMR4895 with my tikka. Try a few different powders and then play around with powder charges and seating depth with the most accurate.

First I determine the COAL that puts the bullet to the rifling, then back off about .030" or more to fit the magazine. I wrap a piece of masking tape on a cleaning rod, drop in a bullet and tap it into place, then put the rod in through the muzzle and mark with a razor blade. I then insert a dummy cartridge and close the bolt, put the cleaning rod back into the barrel and mark with the blade. The distance between the marks is the clearance to the rifling at that COAL.
My 7-08 is an XP100 with 15" barrel. It shoots to the same point of impact with 34 IMR4895 and 139 Hornady, 35 IMR 4895 and 154 Hornady, 37 Vihtavouri N140 with 154 Hornady, 39 IMR 4064 154 Hornady. COAL's 2.83" to 2.86" for about .050" to the rfling. All these loads are good for 40/40 in IHMSA silhouette.

OP
W

wseidel

WKR
Thank you, Woodpecker, eem228, and Longbarrel, for the information. Longbarrel, that's a unique way to figure the distance to the lands. I have used the Hornady tool but I think I'll give that a try to double check. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I always use that method to determine distance to the rifling because it is dead accurate for that particular bullet, so long as you hold the single edge razor blade (or equivalent) perpendicular to the bore. The open end of the cleaning rod nests nicely into the spitzer tip of the bullet. I measure between the cuts with vernier calipers. Throating angles can differ as can bullet ogives, but this method takes care of all that.

bhylton

WKR
try a different primer if nothing else.. dont be afraid to try a Mag primer just for the heck of it. start low on your powder charges when changing of course