Sako S20 7mm Rem. Mag ammo suggestions

Anyone shoot the Sako S20 in 7mm and have a bullet to recommend? I shot it today for the 1st time with Hornady Precision Hunter in 162 gr. and was a bit dissappointed. The guy I bought these from said his gun didn't like them but a friend highly recommended them to me so that's what I tried. Anyone have any suggestions on other factory bullets they've had good results with? Maybe it just needs to be shot more. Sako claims there is no barrel break-in period required but a couple friends said they always shoot several boxes to break a new gun in.

Wapiti151

WKR
Every rifle is different, my S20 could love PH factory Ammo and yours could hate it…so I don’t know that anyone’s answer could be of much help. What any one guy suggests, may not work for that rifle. Best thing to do is to get as many different types of ammo as you can, and see which one your rifle likes the best. In the process of doing that, you may get a couple boxes deep anyway. They don’t require break in, according to Sako, but if you really wanted to “break in” your barrel correctly, make sure you clean it between every 3-5 shots, or in your case, between each different type of ammo. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to then shoot a fouling round, and then shoot your 3 shots for groups….clean, repeat.

Check your twist rate too, make sure it’s good to go with the bullet weight you’re using.

I’m no expert, but that’s what I’ve learned through experience. I’ve also got frustrated enough to sell that rifle and get another that shoots what I want how I want. To each their own. I actually just did exactly that with a weatherby vanguard, and acquired a Sako S20. Haven’t been able to shoot it yet though.

For what it’s worth, try to get your hands on some nosler partition, or accubonds. I’ve had good luck with those and the Hornady PH that you are having trouble with now. Play with your bullet weights too.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
My sako shoots 162 eldx and eldm phenomenally using H1000.

Also shoots the Berger 168gr classic Hunter really well with H1000

OP
COLOelkman
To sort of close the loop, I ended up cleaning the barrel then using some JB Bore bright paste that a friend suggested and it really worked great after that I was getting 1/2 in groups at 100 yds and 2" groups at 400 yds shooting the Hornady eldx 162's. So I'm very satisfied with how this now performs.

d4rkhr5e

FNG
I plan to purchase the SAKO soon. Currently I shoot a Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag. I’ve done significant testing of various loads and I have had the best success and accuracy shooting 139/154 gr Hornady variants (AMAX, ELD-X, SST). I’m glad you resolved your issue but if you aren’t going after bear or elk and want to tighten your groups, give 139/154 gr a try.

Looking at the S20 as well between 7 or 300wm. Gun feels great as any Sako does. The twist rates don’t seem to be optimal for the heavier rounds but love seeing real world results. Getting back into shooting and picked up a Tikka Veil in 6.5CM and that gun is solid under 1/2 MOA with 130-140 grain rounds but that will be for my son. So looking to get a bigger caliber for me. And plus hard to pass up on the Sako special for both stocks with a. Purchase of the S20.

OP
COLOelkman
I have an S20 in 7mm Rem Mag coming in tomorrow, planning on shooting 139-165, will post results here
Fyi, the longest I practiced at prior to hunting was 400 yds and with the 162's my group was within 2" of center and I'm not an avid shooter so I was very happy with that. I have a Leupold VX5 3-15 for a scope so maybe could get better but don't plan to as I'm happy with it.