Sako S20 - Quick Review

JCan351

FNG
I went to Cabela's planning on buying a Tikka T3X lite but they were completely out of stock. Ended up getting a Sako S20 precision in 6.5 CM off the clearance rack for $1020. Definitely showing some cosmetic wear but shoots fantastic. This is the first rifle I've ever bought. I'm a lifelong bird hunter and shotgun shooter.

I'm VERY new to rifle shooting (as in this was my first time) but it's very accurate out of the box with 2 of the 3 factory loads I've shot out of it. I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 44 on it. I mounted the scope, bore sighted, zeroed at 100 yards, then shot 5 three shot groups with three different factory loads. It shot Hornady Precision Hunter and Barnes VOR-TX really well. The center target with the Hornady were all touching! Winchester Match it wasn't much of a fan of. The upper right and lower right were both shot with the Winchester so I could confirm it wasn't shooter error. Center and upper left are Hornady ELD-X and lower left is the Barnes.

I'm going to see if I can get out and shoot 200 yards today. I can already tell I'm going to be hooked.

IMG_0405.jpg

JCan351

FNG
I took the S20 out to 200 yards today. The results, in my opinion, pointed out that I have a lot of work to do on technique and fundamentals. They weren’t bad but the distance was great for making me work a little bit more than the good optics and rifle could cover up for at 100.
I just used the BDC reticle today and no dialing. I’m planning to hunt deer at reasonable ranges so that seems most practical. While they weren’t great they would have done the job.
I’m not qualified to recommend this rifle to anyone, but I’m having a lot of fun with it. I’m glad I chose this as my first rifle and has me thinking I might have to unload some shotguns to make room in the safe for more.
C47EA350-74F1-4BC1-A6D0-C79440391D9A.jpeg87D63715-B795-429C-817A-7835E3AE82A0.jpeg

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Mag is 3.61”, mine is 300 win mag. I didn’t get a naked weight but to give you an idea, right now it’s at 9.8 lbs with a Leupold VX3hd, American rifle co m-brace rings (these are heavy but I love them), and area 419 hellfire brake. It’s a heavier rifle but not something that bothers me strapped on the pack hiking in 5-6 miles. One thing for sure, I’ve never been more comfortable behind a rifle in the prone position.
Does anybody know if the mag length for their 6.5 PRC is the same as for win mags? Some builders believe that the 6.5 PRC is a long action while others try to make it a short. The S20 is sold a being more interchangeable is several ways (stock, bolt face) but I can't find info on action (mag) lengths.

I think the s20 is a one length action like the tikka t3. Actually, it really seems to be t3 with a integral pic rail, 3 position safety, ceracote and a factory chassis.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I think the s20 is a one length action like the tikka t3. Actually, it really seems to be t3 with a integral pic rail, 3 position safety, ceracote and a factory chassis.
Yeah, that makes sense to me., given that it's less expensive than an 85. I shot a 6.5 PRC with long action and it was really quite comfortable to cycle. It didn't seem like the extra room was sloppy.

But as with the T3, they might sell the 6.5 PRC with that insert that makes a shorter mag and I can't find the specs anywher.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This rifle is really calling out to me. But I need another rifle like a hole in the head

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
just picked one up from basspro for 1100. sold with cosmetic damage but too good of a deal for me to pass on. Especially since I had a 1000 in points built up🙂

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Europtic is discounting them down to 1100
just picked up a win mag
already had a 6.5 prc, shooting 1/2 inch groups out of box

JGRaider

WKR
Europtic is discounting them down to 1100
just picked up a win mag
already had a 6.5 prc, shooting 1/2 inch groups out of box
My son picked up the S20 PRC and it shoots like that as well. I worked up a Scenar/RL26 load and it did as well. I liked it so much I bought one, and it shoots just as good. They are unbelievable shooters, and I love the thumbhole stock. May latest group at 300yds put 4 rounds into 1.2".

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don’t know why they aren’t more popular. Been around two of them and they were very accurate. I should order one….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any info on that carbon stock for the s20?

Any info on a wood stock s20 ? I can't imagine they would truly do away with wood stocks other than for the 100

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Can you drop one in a stock that’s inlet for a t3?

-J
For some reason I doubt it, as one of the real unique things about it is the one piece aluminum bedding tray and all, but I'd be very interested to know this as well. Just because, options are fun. Of course could have a stock made for it ($$$$) but then there's the question of bottom metal...