Sako s20

And they still pump out twist rates 1968

bunch of clowns.

par for the course in regards to Finns.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve owned 6 Sakos now. I’ve never owned one that didn’t shoot as well as any custom rifle I’ve ever owned.

They must be doing something right?

I’d put my Sako 85 in .260 and my Sako 75 in 300 Win Mag up against any rifle that somebody wants to bring out to my range.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
N
Rifle accuracy is fairly low on the barometer of rifle performance. And no one is coming to your range except that cute little man ur holding.

Sujeluskuntien Ase-Ja Konepaja Osakeyhtio Oy pumped out plenty of guns that’ll put 5 d166 inside of a quarter all day long made 92 years ago.

funny enough the first SAKO’s had Swiss madeSIg barrels.

I don’t think they even made their own barrels until the move into the old ammunition factory in ‘26

I know all the m/24 and 27’s that had Finnish barrels came from the tikkakoski and jyvaskyla arsenals

if anyone has an m/24 in original arsenal condition you can have a pick of rifles I’ll trade. Sort of like a Singer 1911a1 and Lahti pistols.

and to be fair kp-31’s were known squirrel guns. Head shot at 50 was expected. That’s a 9mm sub gun from the 30’s.

Anyways not too hard to get a different mandrel to pump out twist rates.

Even if you could get 180 eld-m to stabilize out of a 9.5 twist 7 mag, the loss in bc would be enough that a 162 would probably outperform it. that’s 10% more wind drift at 1000 for no other reason then Finns being stubborn. Par for the course.

Finnish rifles historically are like barrel sauna’s and puuko’s. Simple , utilitarian and egalitarian. With an eye to produce the most with the least amount of materials. Tikka’s line of rifles continues that legacy, Sako in its sporting configurations currently, not so much.

I’ve owned 6 Sakos now. I’ve never owned one that didn’t shoot as well as any custom rifle I’ve ever owned.

They must be doing something right?

I’d put my Sako 85 in .260 and my Sako 75 in 300 Win Mag up against any rifle that somebody wants to bring out to my range.

What are you shooting in the 300?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Nice I always heard the 1-11 twist wouldn’t work with the heavier bullets but have no experience with them, good to know

Back in my competition days I’ve had the pleasure of talking to a few high end custom barrel makers. One of the guys who I have a lot of respect for and makes the best quality and accurate barrels I’ve ever used... He has his PHD in metallurgy and has been doing this for over 40 years. His preferred twist rate on anything 205 and below is 1-11.25”.

I do love my Sako, but the twist rates leave much to be desired. Just like the Tikkas. It's a bummer that they can't or don't offer them much faster.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I did some work to my Sako Carbonlight in .260 and needed to re-zero this evening. Here is my 200 yard 6 shot group on a quick sight in before dark about two hours ago.

If only Sako knew how to make a barrel 🤪

2DA2A163-207C-482D-A176-0DE926A72FEE.jpeg

I did some work to my Sako Carbonlight in .260 and needed to re-zero this evening. Here is my 200 yard 6 shot group on a quick sight in before dark about two hours ago.

If only Sako knew how to make a barrel 🤪

View attachment 157546
I too get great groups with my Sako and Tikkas, no issues there and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Stabilizing and maximizing B.C. in big heavier bullets is where they fall short.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Lol good point

Actions speak louder than words ;-)

I shot this group laying prone in the grass at 200 yards on an old bath towel. Trying to get a quick 6 shot group in before the sun went down. The group could have been better if I did my job more carefully. I’ll take it for a quick re-check of zero though.

Hard to tell from the photo but it’s about 3/8” left to right and roughly 3/4” top to bottom. Maximum spread center to center on the longest diagonal is 7/8”.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Don’t sako rifles have extraction/ejection issues or are these overblown because of the internet like kimber horror stories?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t sako rifles have extraction/ejection issues or are these overblown because of the internet like kimber horror stories?

This was an issue specifically on the model 85’s. It was due to the angle the shell being ejected too steep on some rifles. This would cause the casing to hit the scope and drop back down into the action

Honestly, it’s one of those things where you never hear from the guys who don’t have the issue (the majority) but you obviously hear about it from the guys it happened to. It was a big deal for Sako owners though because the model 75 was always known as just about the “perfect” factory rifle. Extremely accurate, reliable, and zero issues.

I’ve owned 4 Model 85s. One of them had the ejection issue. Sako changes their action size dependent on the cartridge. The one that had the issue for me was their XS action for my .204.

The other 3 have never had that issue. My speculation is that it was action size dependent but that’s just a guess from what I’ve seen online.

Some work has been done on the more recent model 85s to fix the issue. So any model 85 you buy today should be fine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This was an issue specifically on the model 85’s. It was due to the angle the shell being ejected too steep on some rifles. This would cause the casing to hit the scope and drop back down into the action

Honestly, it’s one of those things where you never hear from the guys who don’t have the issue (the majority) but you obviously hear about it from the guys it happened to. It was a big deal for Sako owners though because the model 75 was always known as just about the “perfect” factory rifle. Extremely accurate, reliable, and zero issues.

I’ve owned 4 Model 85s. One of them had the ejection issue. Sako changes their action size dependent on the cartridge. The one that had the issue for me was their XS action for my .204.

The other 3 have never had that issue. My speculation is that it was action size dependent but that’s just a guess from what I’ve seen online.

Some work has been done on the more recent model 85s to fix the issue. So any model 85 you buy today should be fine.

thanks, I’d like to get a fin light 308 at some point.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I have only one Sako. It is an A II Hunter model built in probably 1986. It shoots as well as it looks and it is beautiful. The only thing that I do not like about is the fact that it is a .243. If it was a 7-08 it would probably always be the one I take out.