Salewa and Zamberlan?

Hey all,
Recently got some deals for buying some Salewa or Zamberlan boots. I really love my HanWags but something without Goretex for summer scouting would be really nice and the discounts are significant enough to push me towards one of these two brands.

Has anybody used the Salewa or Zamberlan boots? I have long and narrow feet if that is a factor.

Mike

sk1

WKR
Hey all,
Recently got some deals for buying some Salewa or Zamberlan boots. I really love my HanWags but something without Goretex for summer scouting would be really nice and the discounts are significant enough to push me towards one of these two brands.

Has anybody used the Salewa or Zamberlan boots? I have long and narrow feet if that is a factor.

Mike

i stared long and hard at the offers you're talking about mike, almost bought me a pair of the zamberlans but decided to hold off. i know aron used salewa so maybe he will chime in, he sold a pair in the classifieds awhile back.

i think if i get another pair of boots i will go with the salomon quest 4d (not part of your question i know, but i figure they are close to that price range), heard so many good things about them both here on rokslide and other places, and the cost is reasonable......steepandcheap had womens version on for $115 the other day, i keep looking hoping they put the mens up for sale but im not holding my breath.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Own them both. Great boots! With that said, here is my thoughts on the ones I have.

Salewa - Mountain Trainer GTX - They come with the "no blister" guarantee so thats a hell of a return policy. The fit is a little narrow for me, so good for you. The 3F system they have on their boots is fantastic. This is the metal piece running around the heal. It helps to really lock your ankle and heal into place and this is where the no blister guarantee comes from. I would say, if you have a narrow foot your in luck with Salewa. I have a slighty wide foot so the heal fit fine but right at the pinky toe I just couldn't get an exact fit. They are good and comfortable but don't fit like a glove. No stitching issues, broken lace hoops or Gortex issues and have 150+ miles on them. One things tho, never a fan of the step plate on mountaineering soles. That dumb flat part of the sole on the outside of the toe box area. But thats just me.

Zamberlan - 760 Steep GT's - Best general hiking boot I've ever worn. Zamberlan has been around for 80+ years and have really learned how to make a great boot. The Steeps fit a little bigger then normal fit. I normally wear an 11 but the 10.5 fits me perfectly. Zamberlan also run a tad wider then most normal boots. This is due to the toe box design that they have. Don't worry, not like the weird horrible Crispi incline toe box. The sole, stitching and really the whole boot have treated me beyond great and 200+ miles on these boots. If I'm on a trail these are on my feet.

Zamberlan - 960 Guide GT - This boot has the same fit characteristics of the Steep but its a tank. The comfortable Nabuk tops really wore in nicely in about 20 miles or so. The 3/4 rubber rand has a great seal with the leather upper and haven' had one separation point, even at the natural bend point of the boot. The sole is about the exact same on these boots as the Steeps too. Vibram Soles and they you Zamberlan, plastic toe tips. Big difference in the Guide is its a single piece of Nabuk leather upper and not stitched like the other Zamberlan boots.

Hope this helps man

OP
HellsCanyon
SK1, I will check out the Salomons for sure thanks for the heads up.

ArmyJoe, that's exactly what I'm looking for thank you. I've never worn a boot hiking/hunting that wasn't at least "mid" height and am curious to try some of the lower trainer 'shoes' by Salewa... Glad to hear it on the sizing and I think I might pick up a pair for this scouting season to see how I like them... My Hanwag Dakotas were absolutely fantastic this year and I really enjoy them, however one night put them a bit too close to the fire and the glue on the toe rand started to separate shortly thereafter so I'm looking for a compound to try and seal them back up (other than shoe-goo). Would like to continue to use these boots but at this point they definitely need some mending...

Mike

I am a huge fan of Salewa shoes. These Euro brands know how to build a good shoe! I own the Mountain Trainer low without Gore-Tex and the Alp Trainer mid with Gore-tex. I love them both. The mountain trainer's fit a bit wider (read comfortable) and the Alp Trainer's are a bit narrow in the same size run. Great soles on both boots that wear great. I use the Mountain Trainer's in the early season for elk, deer, and bear, good solid footing in the mountains. The Alp Trainer's are for later in the season when it starts to get a little damp.
Hope this helps. Also Steep and Cheap have been having some good deals on Salewa shoes.