Salewa Boots?

Rokslider

FNG
I have tried Scarpa and Crispi lately, but have a few friends that wear the Salewa approach shoes religiously. Do any of you have any experience with Salewa boots?

Love mine... only issue I’ve found is they aren’t as rigid so longer hikes (>10 miles) with weight get tough on the bottoms of my feet. Could be a result of being a bigger guy, though (6’3”, 200+ lbs). Blister-free guarantee is a true story. Check out Expert Voice - many folks qualify for pro deals and Salewa is in there.

fmyth

WKR
I bought a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainers last year in May and wore them in hiking in the desert foothills here in AZ to get in shape for my archery hunt. In August/September I wore them for 30 days hiking scouting and archery hunting in the Medicine Bow forest in WY. They are extremely comfortable and required no break in. The included insoles were not too comfortable for me so I swapped in a pair of Superfeet Guides right before the trip to WY which I believe was a mistake. The right boot began to leak on the third day in WY and I could see where the insoles wore a hole in the Gortex liner. I patched it with Seam Seal and swapped in the insoles from my Solomon trail runners that were with me. I logged just over 150 miles on the trip and the boots performed excellent. When I returned home I contacted Salewa and sent some pics of the boot and they shipped me a new pair. I did not get the new pair before I returned to WY for my rifle hunt so I applied more seam seal to the leaking boot and applied a liberal coating of Kennetrek sealer to both. Wearing the Salewas and some generic gaitors I spent 10 days trudging through knee deep snow and packed out an elk for a buddy. The boots were great but the snow left me wanting a taller boot for snow conditions. I'm still wearing the old pair on my daily 45 min walk on the desert trail behind my house. The rear sole lugs are beginning to chunk off (lots of sharp rocks here in in AZ) but I do have an estimated 250 miles on them now. I'll be wearing the new Salewas to hunt in 2020. I have seen them as low as $185 on Amazon and as high as $249.

I have tried Scarpa and Crispi lately, but have a few friends that wear the Salewa approach shoes religiously. Do any of you have any experience with Salewa boots?

several guys I know on the local SWAT team wear the Salewa Alp flow or Alp trainer and they all like them. I’ve never personally tried them but have thought about it for local hiking and stuff. Like said earlier in the thread they can be pretty decent price on promotive or expert city or whatever they are calling it right now.

Have have a pair of Salewa Raven GTX boots and I must say they haven’t disappointed me one bit. The boots are just extremely tough and I can tell they’re going to hold up to any beatings I give them. I’ve had mine for a couple years now I think?

OP
Rokslider

Rokslider

FNG
Awesome, thank you for the reviews. I’m going to try the Alp Trainer Mid first and then maybe the Mountain trainer. Looks like a good light shoe and similar to my Lowa Zephyrs.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few pairs of the alp flows, very comfortable. I wear them for work, not much ankle support and not waterproof, but nice working shoes.

OP
Rokslider

Rokslider

FNG
Has anyone tried out the Vultur EVO GTX? Trying to decide on this one vs the Crispi Briksdal. Looking for a little taller and insulated pair to wear well with gaiters.

Forks

FNG
I have worn a couple versions of the Mtn Trainers everyday for work and have had 3 pairs of the Mid Trainers (big game and partridge hunting). I've moved on to the Briksdal a couple years ago and am happy with my decision due to it being a little higher and a far better sole.

ranch

FNG
Has anyone tried out the Vultur EVO GTX? Trying to decide on this one vs the Crispi Briksdal. Looking for a little taller and insulated pair to wear well with gaiters.

If you are looking at both, I’d buy the Vultur’s first from REI. REI has a 1 year return policy for footwear worn or not. You could wear the soles off a pair and still return them within a year. As far as fit they have a slightly larger toe box compared to Crows. I own Crows and Raven 2’s. Have only tried on Vultur’s. The Raven 2s have the same larger toe box as the Vultur’s. Not sure on the 3’s. As far as the shank they are STIFF. I personally lean/enjoy a stiffer boot and think they were to much. Fit wise I usually wear a 44 across Crispi, Salewa, Scarpa, and Hanwag. I do however wear different insoles with my Salewa’s. My feet couldn’t stand the insoles they came with.

As I said before I would personally take advantage of REI’s return policy. Gives you the chance to wear them and actually try them out on the mountain to see how they work for you.

Last edited:

rcb2000

WKR
Love my Salewa Crow GTX, used them for my mule deer hunt, and into early season whitetail season.
Zero complaints, would definitely buy again.

The Vultures are stiffer than the Raven 3s and Briksdale.

I would only purchase Vultures if you’re doing winter backcountry hunts where crampons are definitely in use or very serious mountain terrain for 90% of the hunt otherwise they simply will be too much. Consider the Raven 3 if you’re looking at Salewa.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a pair of Mountain Troopers in last month (I believe that they are the same as the Mountain Trainer but have a leather lining in place of the Goretex).

So far they are comfortable and not issues with construction (wearing them at work in the bush) but I personally just don't like the lacing setup on the boots due to them being all loops vs. hooks on the top. Not a deal breaker but it can be a pain to have to loosen everything whereas with the hooks it is much faster.

nabooska

FNG
I have loved my Mid Mountain Trainers for here in Idaho, they required zero break-in time and were ready right out of the box. They are stiff and great for steep climbs. The sole has started to wear after a couple of years, but I've beat the tar out of them side-hilling and sliding through loose & rocky terrain.

I just picked up the Alp Trainer and I like the lighter weight and more flex to them so far, these will suit as a more all-season boot.

I'm a big fan of the lace design that goes down towards the toes. It really allows for a dialed fit. I will say they run small and European sized. For instance, I'm usually an 11 or 10.5 in boots. In Salewa, I wear a 11.5.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Salewa boots. I bought one pair and now I have three different salewa models. I wish they were more waterproof though.