Salewa Mtn Trainer Heel Rub

satchamo

WKR
I put my FIRST 2 miles on a pair of salewa mtn trainer mids today. I know - i shouldn’t be doing this so close to season but it’s a long story...

Anyways - I got some pretty rough heel rub on both heels. So much I quit at 2 miles before I formed more than just hot spots. I immediately called salewa and got a super nice gal on the phone who pointed me towards an email for the no blister guarantee. I sent a note along with where I was getting issues and got a reply back that these boots are stiff so they need 25-30 miles to break in. Which to me - these boots are in fact not that stiff and I’m highly doubting “break in” will fix such bad heel rub.

Does anyone have any experience with these boots or a similar issue? Do you really think more miles will resolve this? I have other boots I can wear if these don’t work so it’s not life or death.

db4251f99893cf2526b9338ef7bd8798.jpg

ca09db7a1ba53320601bbe5b02924453.jpg

Kurts86

WKR
I had that issue with my Salewa mountain trainer mids I ran for 2 seasons and I found lacing tension to be really critical to preventing heel rub. That said I have a narrow low volume foot and find that issue to be common of mountaineering boots.

What about your feet? What do wear day in and day out? What’s the sock situation? Boot fit matters a ton... but lots of times I think the issue is soft feet. It’s why people have great success for a while and then start having issues with boots the next season (not saying that’s completely the issue for you. The fit just might not work for your foot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
I had the same boots, never a hot spot and the single most comfortable boot I’ve worn yet. They just don’t keep your feet dry worth a shit.

X2 on lacing. I have a TON of miles for almost 3 seasons in mine and recently noticed heel rub. Turns out my laces finally rubbed through and the tension was off. New laces fixed it. Only small blister I ever got in these was 24 mile day and I didn't know the laces were gone. Was from side hilling. Can try different methods of tying to see if you can lock your heel in better.

Sock liners help as well for me.IMG_20200802_213059~2.jpg

Kurts86

WKR
What about your feet? What do wear day in and day out? What’s the sock situation? Boot fit matters a ton... but lots of times I think the issue is soft feet. It’s why people have great success for a while and then start having issues with boots the next season (not saying that’s completely the issue for you. The fit just might not work for your foot)

I’m very aware of my feet and my boot fit. I was a competitive distance running for a decade and spent lots of time understanding my shoe fit and my stride mechanics. I’ve had multiple pairs of custom orthotics made other the years and have worn shoes and boots from tons of companies.

I haven’t run Salewa’s in a few years and mostly run La Sportiva and Technica boots now. Salewa’s are still considered a Narrow boot by most people but the heel grab was really inconsistent for me depending on how many days I had been wearing them and how tight they were laced. I was using the heel lock lacing technique with mixed success. The worst part of the high tension lacing was the narrow laces could rope burn my hands trying to keep them tight.

For socks I’ve found nothing works better than the Darn Tough Hunter Cushioned but I also tried Kuiu and Smart wool socks with the Sawela’s.

I will say I loved the weight, stability and grip of the Salewa Mountain Trainer’s for backcountry Hunting. My Tecnica Forge S boots are a serious downgrade in traction and my La Sportiva Trango Cubes are too hardcore of a mountain boot for lots of hiking situations.

Of note the sole on my Salewa’s really wore out quickly on the rocky terrain of Northern AZ over 10 days. I had previously used them for similar periods in Colorado and Wyoming without nearly as much wear. I do think this is somewhat expected because softer rubber grips better but also wears out quickly.