Salewa Rapace Gore-Tex Boot Review, By Jim Carr

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
repace-12.jpg

I don't know a better person than @Jim Carr to put a pair of boots to the test. Jim put the Salewa Rapace boots through the wringer this season. Check out his review to see how they worked for him.

Salewa Rapace Boot Review

JustinNC

FNG
The outsole isnt surprising to me. I wore Mountain Trainer Lites for a few years climbing and pruning trees (spikeless) as a professional arborist. Hands down the most comfortable boot I've worn, but whatever soles they use, only lasted 4-5mo for me. Others in the industry reported the same with the Rapace.

We all loved them though because they were extremely grippy in the trees.

I used mine on a 5 day backpack muzzleloader deer hunt in Utah and the outsole had chunks that came off them. In 5 days, for a $300 boot. Comfortable boot but probably my last pair of salewas.

Backstrap

FNG
Never had a pair of Salewas nor do I have access to a retailer that sells them near me. Do they fit true to size or if you wear a size 10 in every other brand, did you wear the same size in the Salewas?

also curious on size. the outsole durability is unfortunate, but much less of an issue here on the coast... the ground is soft and easy on tread relatively.

JustinNC

FNG
True to size and comfortable. Owned three pairs and all were like “broke-in” right out of the box

I think that is the price to pay for super grippy rubber. I’ve gone through 2 pairs of Crispi Briksdal SF’s in 2 years because of the same soft rubber outsole issue.

2ski

WKR
Tried on a pair of Salewa hiking shoes a few years ago and didn't buy them. But they were comfortable. I was going to get some but don't remember what they were.

Tha KS for the review.

Bcreek86

FNG
I wore them on a late season idaho elk hunt, a couple very cold mornings and snow and they did ok. Granted they are not meant for that. But they did well. No wet feet, No hot spots. Packed a bull out of a bottom with them and they performed well. I’d give them a solid 7 out of 10 for that hunt. Early season archery I’d probably give them an 8.5. Impressive boot a bit overpriced in my opinion. But versatile.

T House

FNG
I've owned both the MTN trainer and Rapace. I prefered the MTN trainer. Salewa fit MY feet better than any other boot I've tried.

Travis

prm

WKR
I just received a pair. Have one short hike with them. They seem a little narrower and smaller for size. I noticed that they say it’s an 8.5 US and 41 Eur. My Crispi are 8.5/41.5, and Salomon Quest are 8.5/42. In my opinion the Euro sizing is an accurate description of these boots.

So after having tons of foot problems and trying 15ish pairs of boots including the full L&S system i setted on Zamberlan 980 and 960s the last couple seasons. The 960s never really seemed to work as well as the 980s.

I just got the Repace after my 960s being unusually uncomfortable on a scouting trip.

My initial review of the Repace upon slipping them on was OHH WOW OHH WOW.

I hope that proves to be true in the mountains. I've never had a piece of foot wear feel so great.

Knock on wood.
Heck if the soles wear out every 30 days I don't care if they stay this comfortable. It will be a game changer for me.

I'll keep everyone updated as I thow miles in them.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP