Salewa Wildfire Edge GTX Mid

I grabbed a pair of the babies about a month ago and based off initial test runs my search has ended!

These are listed as an approach boot so the fit is a bit narrow compared to some brands but I felt like they were more wide than every Salomon I tried. Given their intended purpose the rubber on the sole is very tacky and will most likely not result in a boot that is built to last for more than a few seasons of hard use. Salewa does offer a blister free guarantee when worn with high quality socks.

Initial impressions on fit and feel were very promising. The pattern of the lacing allows easy adjustment to a more relaxed hiking setup and a very quick way to tighten the boot to tackle more technical terrain with the toe box a bit tighter when desired.

These boots have offered very good traction in mixed terrain from mud to rock and snow and ice.

The neoprene sock is not intrusive or overly tight around the shin and definitely helps keep debris out.

Stiffness is between a mountaineering boot and a hiking boot. That about the best I can compare it to.

I recognize that my taste in colors may not be to the liking of others, this boot also comes in black.

Thats about all I have for now. Ive put in about 20 miles of hikes with and without packs and these are by far the boot I have been searching for.

I will be shooting a video when I can get out more and I will post it here...

I was looking a few pairs of these but couldn’t really find any decent reviews. I’m anxious to hear more from you.

Please comment on the width of the toe box in comparison to others you’ve used. I’d be interested in how toe box compared to altra lone peak mids.

OP
bruceleroy
The toe box is NOT as wide as any Altra, but it is decent. It is more roomy than any Salomon, Adidas or Asolo boots I've ever had. Keep in mind this is also an approach boot. It is made to tighten down on the toe box to provide additional support.

OP
bruceleroy
I was looking a few pairs of these but couldn’t really find any decent reviews. I’m anxious to hear more from you.

I had seen exactly zero reviews for these in the states. I figure I would take a gamble due to the the Salewa reputation as a whole and it really paid off. I will also be getting some more conventional boots from them this spring.

I ran these this hunting season and put 68 miles for the whole month and it’s been great. The fit has been amazing. The 3F wrapping system works very well. I’ve been impressed with these and they will probably stay on my feet for the next few seasons. There’s only 2 things I don’t like about these. 1) the gaiter is kind of big. (I’m 6’2 203 lbs and have long legs) 2) no cushion on the ball of my feet, so there’s some pain after long hikes