Salisbury steak!

PredatorX

WKR
I hadn't heard the word salisbury steak in years. Saw the hushin guys cook it up and since I grind up all of my whitetails, I thought I would give it a shot.

Picture is crappy but here is 1 left. Wow is it great. Any one else cooking up this meal?

870411f6930dc3472f356fe5858fcf27.jpg

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
This is what I used. It was easy for a hack like me. Taste was superb. Will definitely be making again.

Ingredients

For the steak:

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
lots fresh ground black pepper , or to taste
1 Tablespoon cooking oil , for searing beef patties

For the Mushroom Gravy

2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces mushrooms , sliced
1 medium onion , sliced
2 cloves garlic , minced
1/4 cup flour
3 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
kosher salt or sea salt , or to tasteblack pepper to taste

· In large bowl mix together all the steak ingredients (beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper). Shape into 4 oval patties.

· Heat large pan over medium-high heat and then add oil. Brown both sides of patties (about 1 minute per side) and then remove from the pan.

· Keep same pan and beef juices over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until onions are golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5-10 minutes.

· Add garlic and butter. Cook for about 1 minute.

· Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of beef stock, whisking until incorporated.

· Pour in the remaining broth and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).

· Reduce heat to medium, stirring often, simmer until the gravy starts to thicken, about 5-10 minutes. Add salisbury steak patties back into the gravy and cook until the steak patties are cooked to your preferred doneness (usually about 5-10 minutes), stirring the gravy occasionally around the steaks. Taste for seasoning and add more salt & pepper, if desired.