Salmon, Idaho Elk?

Guys,

I've been invited on a 10 day elk hunt near Salmon, Idaho this coming September. I know the wolves have become a problem in Idaho and I really don't want to spend a whole bunch of money to hunt there if the elk population is extremely low. Does anyone have any recent experience there in the last couple of years? The guy who is taking us said he had a great hunt 4 years ago. However, I'm wondering how much its changed since then.

Thanks for any help!

Cope

Travis

FNG
I had a friend take a shed hunting trip in that area last week. He saw thousands of elk. Not sure what the population used to be, but that may help your decision.
Don't forget to by a few wolf tags!

I have hunted a lot around Salmon for elk and it is still great hunting for good bulls. The people around Salmon do a great job of keeping the wolf population in check. You planning on archery hunting?

You should be ok if guy you're going with knows area. Wolves have done a number on our elk. Numbers are down from 4 years ago, and the elks patterns have changed. Still elk around if you hunt hard. Don't forget your wolf tags!

Rizzy

WKR
I haven't been to the Salmon area, but where I go in south central idaho the Bulls are on the tops of the nasty ridges.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've hunted the area quite a bit... Would need a little more specific info on which unit before I could give you the low-down on it. Populations aren't quite what they used to be, but there's still some real good elk hunting around if your buddy knows the country.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to hear the elk are doing ok up that way. Hopefully reducing these wolf numbers will help the herd recover.