Salmon river bear

Hey everyone, a buddy and I are planning on coming from South Dakota for a spring bear hunt. Unsure of the dates yet but it’s seeming like 3rd week of May will be the approximate dates. What are your thoughts on hunting near the Salmon River, away from the roads that time of year? Thinking unit 19 or 20 but not dead set on any one unit. Thanks in advance!

BluMtn

WKR
The only thing I can give you as I have been in that country that time of year, is you are going to have to contend with snow. How deep will depend on the year. If you are thinking the Salmon area I would look at boating up to Mackey bar from Riggins or somewhere else on the river because driving in is probably not going to happen.

Tjay

FNG
DSCN0024.JPGDSCN0024.JPG

I can tell you that is some tough country. We used jet boat to get around and then hiked up from the river.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, access and snow are pretty unpredictable. Make sure to have a few back-up areas in mind. I've been in 20A in early May a bad snow year. It was not at all efficient to leave the immediate river cooridor.

OP
SoDak BigGame
Thanks for the input thus far! Would it be better in terms of number of bears if we waited a few weeks or a different area in general? Like others have said that you may need a boat for easier access which wouldn’t be feasible for us. Once again, thanks!

OP
SoDak BigGame
This year the third week of June we could not get above 6800'.
We ran into that problem back in 2018 when we went to unit 12 for bear. We ended up setting baits since we couldn't get to the spots we wanted to glass for bear. Ended up getting on some bear but we were wanting the spot and stalk adventure this year. So we were thinking either hitting up unit 10 or 12 again but 2-3 weeks later or trying a different area to the south further with possible more access.

Joryalan

FNG
We ran into that problem back in 2018 when we went to unit 12 for bear. We ended up setting baits since we couldn't get to the spots we wanted to glass for bear. Ended up getting on some bear but we were wanting the spot and stalk adventure this year. So we were thinking either hitting up unit 10 or 12 again but 2-3 weeks later or trying a different area to the south further with possible more access.
Did yall ever end up going? How did it turn out? I have a friend in Salmon Area and was thinking of driving to Idaho for a spot and stalk adventure as well this spring.