Salmon River Solutions Free Giveaway

TheCougar

WKR
First off, thank you for doing something like this and giving folks a chance to recognize their hunting buddies. I’m going to go with my newest hunting partner, my 11 year old son. Two years ago he started blind hunting whitetails and pigs in Texas. Last year I took him on his first “real hunt” for mule deer in NM. It took several difficult days, but we finally got on some deer and he shot a small buck and later this past winter he got a nice whitetail buck while still hunting. We shoot bows together in the backyard, go fishing, and watch hunting videos and talk about the basics of woodsmanship like building single match fires and how to sharpen knives.

He’s still at the age where his dad walks on water and can do no wrong. Sooner or later he’ll figure out that’s not true, but in the meantime it makes him a good student and quick learner. Except for walking quietly and sitting still. We haven’t figured that one out yet. I like to think I bring out the best in him, whether it’s perseverance and a good attitude, and he builds new levels of patience and understanding in me. He and his little sister (lord, help me) both drew trophy bull tags in Arizona this year, so we will need all of the patience I can muster! Since every time I tell him I’m going out into the woods, he comes downstairs with 4 knives arrayed on his person, I would think the bone saw would totally float his boat, and if one of those arca things will attach a rifle to a standard tripod, that would certainly come in handy when hunting with kids.

Long story, but we are both wearing our lucky Cat shirts. It’s a running joke. This is his favorite picture from the Nm mule deer hunt.
816C9E09-FACE-47FD-8574-957646A58242.jpeg

C1903172-35C9-4170-8D09-CABD7EF33333.jpeg

998BA926-43E9-44D0-B2FB-26A1F1ED7B40.jpeg

817EA508-7EF5-4D6F-A8BE-C6FE9EEC8718.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't want to win anything because I'm perfectly content with my set-up but I want to say I think this is awesome.

My favorite hunting partner, let's call him DB, is a long-standing friend who is fun to be around and, most importantly for hunting, can hike the steeps without complaining. A good attitude and good legs, what more do you need in a hunting partner? The fact that he's a smart guy and trained in medicine is just icing on the cake.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to bump this. Really enjoyed reading about everyone's hunting partners. Good ones are hard to find, reward yours with some FREE awesomeness.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
This is a cool idea that gets some of the good memories out of our minds and out for others to enjoy so thank you!

My favorite hunting partner is my older brother. I had hunted for several years with it mostly being a good outdoor trip with my dad and brothers. The year it started to get more serious and become an addition was when I got my first deer. It was about 3 minutes into shooting light on opening morning when we spotted a little buck (thought it was a little 2 point but we were wrong) across this little canyon from us. He helped me get setup on the deer using his tripod as a rest. I took the shot and it went down. My brother let out a good scream letting everyone on the mountain know we had got an animal although i'm sure everyone thought we shot the biggest animal on that mountain by how loud he hollered. We get over to the deer and it ended up being a 1x2. We gutted it, because that is what we knew how to do at that point, and started dragging it back to the truck using a short piece of rope and a stick to even the load between us. The small sharp antlers stabbed us in the back of the calves the whole way back to the truck (about a mile). Because of the calf stabbings and us not knowing it wasn't a 2 point on each side the deer ended up being know as black jack. He paid us back a little for letting us enjoy his meat. From that day on we vowed to never drag an animal like that again so my brother learned the gutless method and that is how we have done things since.

Far and away my Dad. I grew up waterfowl hunting with my dad who was a wildlife biologist for the state and later the feds and I still haven't found anything quite like getting out on the tide flats before first light and watching the world wake up. The creeping light over the knocked down cheat grass, the tide gurgling through muddy channels and over flood debris from the last storm. Just sitting quietly in a blind, sun at your back, watching the decoys and looking over the bay as birds started moving. He'd narrate the species as they started waking up, ospreys watching for rodents, mergansers crashing our decoys just to be rude, buffleheads streaking up and down the channels.
When I was pretty little, my dad had a stroke one morning while we were prepping to head out on a deer hunt, luckily I was awake and was able to get my mom quickly and to get him to a hospital. It slowed him down, and his left side didn't work very well anymore, but he just switched to an autoloader, used a walking stick more, and we kept hunting. Still mostly waterfowl, ducks, geese, the occasional nutria - some big game but certainly no backpacking - not with his bad left leg.
I moved off to college far away, got married, had kids, took up big game hunting in Colorado in the hope that I'd be able to give my kids the same experience. I'm certainly not the mountain man he was, but now that I have kids - a job - a house, I'm even more impressed by how he just kept going. How would I do if something knocked out half of my physical prowess in the prime of life, it'd be pretty easy to give up and choose a softer life, not slog through mud carrying decoys.
Anyways, I saw a Fresh Tracks episode last year where Randy takes a good friend on a limited mobility hunt and I knew I had to go hunting with my dad again. I put in for deer hunting near Craig (unit 3 - really flat with lots of roads) and pronghorn near the air force base (really flat, lots of roads). Hopefully I pull one of those tags, if not I'll try for a Wyoming pronghorn - or try again next year - and the following year. He's excited, I'm excited, it'll be the first time we've hunted together in over a decade, I'm hoping to get something - anything, but I'm sure just driving around glassing empty prairie will be pretty fantastic.

sram9102

WKR
My only hunting partner is my cousin, longest tenured friend, best man at my wedding. I have a lot of friends that casually hunt but he was the only one who got the call to drive 29 hours across the country on a whim to go to a state neither one of us had ever stepped foot it to hunt mulies and elk in the Frank church. We had to come back a quarter of the way through our trip empty handed due to some family medical issues, but everything worked out and his kiddo was born perfectly healthy. We don't get to hunt together as much as we used to but he gets the first call for any cool trips I look into going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ok! So I’m a little behind on announcing winners. Please shoot me a pm with your shipping info and I will try to get them out this week.

Pack saw winner @TheCougar your son should have fun with it!

Ti muzzle brake @MuleyFever hope your wife likes the reduced recoil! I saved the engraved brake for the giveaway.

Ti arca rail @Mac7 I hope my daughter will Hunt with me like that!

Arca+pic rail And sling stud @Rusty85 you already bought two but now your dad gets one!

Arca+pic @CaseyU I have one of these on my rifle that’s pieced together, nothing matches, shoots great though!

Ok! So I’m a little behind on announcing winners. Please shoot me a pm with your shipping info and I will try to get them out this week.

Ti muzzle brake @MuleyFever hope your wife likes the reduced recoil! I saved the engraved brake for the giveaway.

Arca+pic rail And sling stud @Rusty85 you already bought two but now your dad gets one!

Arca+pic @CaseyU I have one of these on my rifle that’s pieced together, nothing matches, shoots great though!

Thank you so much. Very generous of you to do this.

TheCougar

WKR

Thank you for doing something like this. My son will be really excited and I hope we get to put this to use in the fall. Rokslide is what it is because of folks like you. If you’re ever in Fort Worth, I’ll buy you a beer!

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ok everything is shipped out as of today.

A big thanks to everyone who participated!

@MuleyFever deferred the muzzle brake until I get a 1/2-28 brake made up for the slimmer barrel on his wifes rifle! He will get one of the fancy slab style brakes once they are done.