Salomon Boot/Shoe combo I’ve been using

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
RyanG505
Any update on the X-ALP boots?
I fell the same way you do about the 4D, like them a lot but there a little soft when side hilling or climbing over blow down. Just got a pair of the X-ALP's in the mail and so far they seem stiffer.
The X-ALP fit me about the same as the 4D but the ALP's are defiantly narrower then the 4D.

Sorry I’ve been out a lot and not active....the X-ALPS have held up a lot better than the 4Ds but they are much warmer. Being that I’m in southern NM I’ve set them aside until the snows because my feet sweat to bad in them for now. I will get them out this weekend on my sons deer hunt since the temps are down and we’ve had some good snows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RyanG505

RyanG505

FNG
Any updates on this? I wanna pull the trigger but have been holding off.

I would certainly buy them again...I’ve really slowed down on wearing them this early season being that they don’t breath as well as my 4Ds do and have my feet sweating pretty bad. I will post more on them as the winter weather comes around. It’s already snowed here in NM so I will be wearing them on my sons deer hunt here soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Here's my thoughts on the Salomon 4D's and X-Alps after the hunting season.

The 4D's are good boots, work for most of my hunting but the sole is a little soft and they flex a bit when sidehilling or crawling over rocks and logs. I've had the 4D's for 6 months now and wear them everyday for work and fun.

The X-Alps I would put in the great boot category. They fit me about the same as the 4D's, just a little narrower. The sole is stiffer then the 4D's so the Alp's sole supports the foot perfectly when sidehilling or hiking over very uneven terrain. I've only had the Alp's for 2 or 3 month's, wore them a few days to break them in then spent 15 days chasing deer in them. The boots still look almost new at this point.

Only issue I had with both boots is the factory insoles don't have enough arch for my high arches but a set of Superfeet Green insoles took care of the issue.

Unless I get a wild hair and decide I need to try some other boots I plan on sticking with the two Salomon boots and will probably be picking up another pair of 4D's when these wear out.

Here's my thoughts on the Salomon 4D's and X-Alps after the hunting season.

The 4D's are good boots, work for most of my hunting but the sole is a little soft and they flex a bit when sidehilling or crawling over rocks and logs. I've had the 4D's for 6 months now and wear them everyday for work and fun.

The X-Alps I would put in the great boot category. They fit me about the same as the 4D's, just a little narrower. The sole is stiffer then the 4D's so the Alp's sole supports the foot perfectly when sidehilling or hiking over very uneven terrain. I've only had the Alp's for 2 or 3 month's, wore them a few days to break them in then spent 15 days chasing deer in them. The boots still look almost new at this point.

Only issue I had with both boots is the factory insoles don't have enough arch for my high arches but a set of Superfeet Green insoles took care of the issue.

Unless I get a wild hair and decide I need to try some other boots I plan on sticking with the two Salomon boots and will probably be picking up another pair of 4D's when these wear out.

How is the X-Alp goretex holding up? You may not have enough use or wear on them yet as my 4D's usually last a few hundred miles before they start leaking. That is pretty much my only complaint with the 4D's but if I have a 50-55 pound pack they can be a little too light duty for hiking on rocks, logs and sidehilling. A lower pack weight and they are about perfect until its wet or I'm packing heavy.