Salomon boots for elk hunting

Mwilson

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for experience elk hunters opinions on a pair of goretex soloman hiking boots to use for elk hunting... I’ve got an opportunity at a pretty good deal on these and curious if anyone has gone the route of a lightweight “hiking” boot/shoe like these. Thanks guys

I use the Quest 4d gtx. They are very comfortable straight out of the box, good for early to mid season hunts (my feet run cold) , not 100% waterproof a good spray will help. I got 2 seasons out of them durability wise and just purchased a new pair for this season. Landscape i hunt vary from rolling foothills to lava looking rocks and granite in the high country.

I use the Quest 4D GTX as well, and have for several years. I really like them, but if you require great ankle support wouldn't be the first pick.

ColoradoV

WKR
My choice has been to go w a full boot like the lowa Tibet or Salomon speedcross low top sneakers w low gators and I am in the speed cross about 85% of the time. Killed both my bull and buck in them this year. Bull I hiked out solo 1 mile each way x 3 trips. Buck was about 5 miles x 2 trips solo.

Now your feet have to be in shape and I am trying the inov8 goretex low top this year but dang hard to beat those speed crosses they are quiet and hold like nothing else.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I also have had the same experience with the Quest 4D. Very comfortable but not very waterproof. What sprays have you used to make them more waterproof?

Love'em. On my third pair now, but about as waterproof as a sponge. Im all ears if theres a waterproofer that does anything at all.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the X Ultras for just about every hunt all year. Perfect combo of weight, traction, and support for me. Plenty tough, but as others have said, won’t keep the water out for long. As long as I can get them on sale, I’d be perfectly happy buying a new pair every year or two.

ionfender

Lil-Rokslider
I run something similar (not Solomon) in terms of the type of boot. Make sure they're actually waterproof...you'll want that IMO.

I also have the quest 4d gtx. Very athletic type boot. I hunt lots of steep rugged stuff and they hold up great. I never had ankle issues before with any boot or shoe, so I can't speak much to the ankle support. But, they aren't too waterproof and on a wet morning in thick vegetation you will definitely get damp. The OTC area that I hunt has been dry the last 2 years so it hasn't been an issue.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I use the quest 4ds early and the insulated ones later, I think they are 200 grams? I like how lightweight they are.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Same as everyone else-I love Salomons. Have about 8 pairs of various footwear. (MIL pricing is 👍) If they could only figure out the waterproof issue! Reason I wear them is the boots are truly “sneaker comfortable” and lightweight. I don’t like a stiff, restrictive or heavy boot and never had an issue on the steep rocky stuff.

krojemann

WKR
Comfy, they leak, comfy, not very durable, and comfy. They are basically a throw away boot. Until I find something I like better, I will probably continue to buy them, get 1-2 seasons out of them, and throw them away.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I’ve hunted many seasons with the Salomons and have never had them leak. I’m hunting CO Rockies, so not a constant drenching like other locations, but my feet have always been dry. Creek crossings, bogs, snow, no problems.

Sled

WKR
i use the quest for my early season hunts only. they are limited on waterproofing as mentioned but very comfortable. i have a wide forefoot w/ narrow heel. few boots fit me well. these however, do. when i replace them it will be with the crispi colorado since the fit is similar, ankle support and waterproofing are better.

Beendare

WKR
REI has the Solomon Quests on sale now at their outlet site.

I've been running the Quest 4d for about 5 years. One pair leaked on the first outing...REI swapped them no questions asked. So its important to test these in wet- right out of the gate in case they leak...but that true with any of these boots now-a-days as QC in this foreign made stuff is sometimes lax.

These are about the lightest full boot a guy can find...Lowa makes a good model too... that is pretty close to these.

These have just enough flex at the ball of your foot but less of the side flex you get with day hikers. If you need a super stiff sole...these aren't the boot for you. They break in on one or two long hikes

The lacing system is excellent. The eyelet that locks where your foot meets the ankle is solid giving you the option to run them looser on up hill and lock your foot from sliding on downhills.

The sole is pretty grippy...but as someone pointed out above, that softness makes them a 1-2 year boot.
The insoles they come with are junk...its best to bring your preferred insole with you [and the socks you will be using of course] to give them a test fit. They seem true to size for me....though I'm a 14 and wish I could get a 14 1/2 so I could run thicker socks.

Goretex linings typically last a year +/- if you are running your boots hard- these are no exception. FWIW, I did a thread here in the past on boots I coated with a very diluted Silicone solution.[ key is make it watery] ..and those stayed waterproof until there was no sole left. A very wet Kodiak trip and they kept my feet dry for a week- impressive.

>>>

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
REI has the Solomon Quests on sale now at their outlet site.

I've been running the Quest 4d for about 5 years. One pair leaked on the first outing...REI swapped them no questions asked. So its important to test these in wet- right out of the gate in case they leak...but that true with any of these boots now-a-days as QC in this foreign made stuff is sometimes lax.

These are about the lightest full boot a guy can find...Lowa makes a good model too... that is pretty close to these.

These have just enough flex at the ball of your foot but less of the side flex you get with day hikers. If you need a super stiff sole...these aren't the boot for you. They break in on one or two long hikes

The lacing system is excellent. The eyelet that locks where your foot meets the ankle is solid giving you the option to run them looser on up hill and lock your foot from sliding on downhills.

The sole is pretty grippy...but as someone pointed out above, that softness makes them a 1-2 year boot.
The insoles they come with are junk...its best to bring your preferred insole with you [and the socks you will be using of course] to give them a test fit. They seem true to size for me....though I'm a 14 and wish I could get a 14 1/2 so I could run thicker socks.

Goretex linings typically last a year +/- if you are running your boots hard- these are no exception. FWIW, I did a thread here in the past on boots I coated with a very diluted Silicone solution.[ key is make it watery] ..and those stayed waterproof until there was no sole left. A very wet Kodiak trip and they kept my feet dry for a week- impressive.

>>>

What I meant....but put WAY BETTER! (y)(y)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think A-Ron is singlehandledly giving these boots a bad name. I freaking love them. I wait for them to go on sale and grab a pair. First two years they’re g2g. Third year theyre 50/50 on waterproof. So for 150 bucks I get 2 years. They require zero break in for me and are as comfortable as your favorite pair of old sneakers.