Salomon Quest 4 differences

Anyone know the difference between the Quest 4d 2 gtx and the Quest 4d 3 gtx? They look the same, basically.

Also, they have what is called the "Lace Lock system to prevent the laces from coming untied". Anyone know what that is?

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what the difference is between the 2 and 3. The lace lock system is the hook above the bottom lace eyelets that is on the side. It 'pinches' the laces and holds it in place. To undo the laces on mine, I have to give a decent yank on the laces.

My view of those boots is they are a good boot for low/mid (carrying) weights. They are light and comfortable enough to wear all day, and supportive enough (for me) for a 30-40 lb pack, but I feel a little lacking when packing out an animal (>60lbs) in steep terrain. They worked well, but not as well as stiffer, heavier boots for backpacking. They wear fast, are prone to leaking (from what others have said), but in saying that, I'm going to be getting another pair for this upcoming season. I feel like they're a good blend of comfort/support with low to moderate weights for moving quietly while (archery) hunting.

OP
L
Thanks AZRon. I have two pairs of the 2, and like them a lot. I see they are on sale some places for under $150. The 3 are selling for about $240, and are not available in most places (out of stock). I wear the 2 daily at work (Sheriff's Office uniform), so I need the black ones. I"m hoping they become more available, and that might drive the price down.

Last edited:
I have the Quest 4d 2gtx and really like the boot for hiking, but agree with AZ Ron regarding the rigidness/supportive capabilities of the boot under a heavier load. For a similar boot with a "reportedly" more rigid shank/sole, I should be receiving my new Salomon X Alp boots on Saturday. Just bought my girlfriend a pair and she was surprised at much stiffer they were than her 4d 2gtx boots. I'll be giving them a workout and will report back to Rokslide with my thoughts.

sneaky

"DADDY"
One starts leaking after 200 yards in wet grass, the other makes it to 300 yards. That's been my experience with Salomons. Lots of guys love them, but I don't even lump them in with real boots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
Have a pair of Quest 3. Very comfortable. I use it as a work boot that I can summer scout in.

OP
L
I ordered a pair of Crispi Nevada GTX in Black. Gonna give them a try for uniform wear. I liked the Salomons, but am willing to give the Crispis a go. They offer a LEO/Military discount also. I will post my results after I wear them a while to work.

prm

WKR
Look forward to hearing about the X Alp boot. I’m on my third pair of Salomon Quests. Never had a problem with leaking. I use Superfeet insoles and they seem stiff enough for as much weight as I intend to carry.

OP
L
Well, I got the Crispi Nevada GTX in, and they don't fit. I need a little wider, so they are going back. Also, they are taller and heavier than the Salomon. Since they don't make this boot in a wide width, I guess I am going to have to give the Salomon Quad 4d 3 gtx a try and see how they compare with the 2's.

****edited to add: Just got home with the Salomon Quad 4d 3 GTX, and they feel great. Massey's had them for $183, cheapest anywhere. A little disappointed that the Crispi Nevada didn't work out, but these Salomons should work out great (as long as I don't rely on them to be waterproof).

Last edited: