Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX Mens Hiking Boots

I got a set of these to try last summer from Cableas, Really happy with the fit, weight, support and all but one thing did not like!
My feet flippin FROZE in these when any temps under about 40 degrees, even with some medium weight merino / poly socks on, it was dry weather too. They would be a great early season boot and for hiking trekking. This year I may try a piece of foil cut to the shape of my insole and it put under insole to reflect the cold from the ground.

matthewmt

WKR
Mine arrived today, said expected delivery by the 19th.
1067f31941556f8ab39d723c49a7c786.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine for what they are, liked them so much I now have a pair in fossil, iguana, and black. Only thing I don't care for is the laces.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Love mine for what they are, liked them so much I now have a pair in fossil, iguana, and black. Only thing I don't care for is the laces.

What do you mean by, for what they are? What about the laces don't you like? I don't know anything about them, so I'm curious to hear about your experience. Thanks.

Have you had a problem with the laces? The color of the laces might not be good for mine, I will be wearing the boots to work. My uniform is dark brown pants and khaki shirt, so I ordered the black ones. The laces seem to be black with a lighter color in them. I have an extra pair of Danner 452 GTX laces to switch them out if necessary.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up on these. It seems to be a great deal when compared to REI or even Amazon. I signed up for the 10% off and received the code but then discovered that my size is out of stock.

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
For what they are - What I meant was - for a very lightweight hiking boot they are awesome imo, I do not consider them very durable or waterproof for very long depending on use. But for the weight, fit, & comfort for myself - you cant go wrong. As far as the laces go, I don't like the fact of how stiff they are, they seem to be made of Kevlar and never seem to break in. I keep telling myself I am going to switch to new laces but never seem to get around to it. Overall besides the few things i nitpick at I will always have a pair.

N2TRKYS

WKR
For what they are - What I meant was - for a very lightweight hiking boot they are awesome imo, I do not consider them very durable or waterproof for very long depending on use. But for the weight, fit, & comfort for myself - you cant go wrong. As far as the laces go, I don't like the fact of how stiff they are, they seem to be made of Kevlar and never seem to break in. I keep telling myself I am going to switch to new laces but never seem to get around to it. Overall besides the few things i nitpick at I will always have a pair.

Thanks for the info.

Got mine yesterday afternoon. Super comfortable, and fit true to size. They feel well built and sturdy and seem to have lots of support in the sole. The factory insole was paper thin, so I removed it and put in my "Heel that pain" insole. Really happy with them, and hope they feel this good later on down the road.

Last edited:

AdamW

WKR
Select sizes and styles are available on Amazon Prime Day today with an extra 30% off. The pair I checked were about $135 after the extra 30% off for prime members at checkout. (It will tell you if they are the extra 30% eligible). Lots of other boots as well.

Select sizes and styles are available on Amazon Prime Day today with an extra 30% off. The pair I checked were about $135 after the extra 30% off for prime members at checkout. (It will tell you if they are the extra 30% eligible). Lots of other boots as well.
What colors were 30% off? My Capt is looking for tan or sand color in the boot for uniform wear.

As far as the laces go, I don't like the fact of how stiff they are, they seem to be made of Kevlar and never seem to break in. I keep telling myself I am going to switch to new laces but never seem to get around to it. Overall besides the few things i nitpick at I will always have a pair.

I see what you mean about the laces. After three days, I find them very stiff (they are Kevlar), and the loose ends are way long. I have another pair that I was going to use but they are too short. The laces on the Salomons are 80 inches long, and the extra pair of laces I have are 63 inches. I looked on the Salomon website, and can't find extra laces, and REI doesn't show replacements for the Quest GTX. I will look around. I think Kenetrek has black 72 inch laces for Tactical boots. Those should be the right length I need.

Last edited:

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I see what you mean about the laces. After tree days, I find them very stiff (they are Kevlar), and the loose ends are way long. I have another pair that I was going to use but they are too short. The laces on the Salomons are 80 inches long, and the extra pair of laces I have are 63 inches. I looked on the Salomon website, and can't find extra laces, and REI doesn't show replacements for the Quest GTX. I will look around. I think Kenetrek has black 72 inch laces for Tactical boots. Those should be the right length I need.

Let me know how you make out and what worked

Let me know how you make out and what worked

I went to Cabelas and found some Danner black boot laces that were 72" long. Best thing was the price- normally $5.99, but they were all on sale for $2.88. I only bought one pair, not knowing if they would work. That is the cheapest I have ever gotten out of Cabelas, $3.15 with tax
The laces fit perfect, and stay tied, unlike the stiff Salomon laces that kept coming untied. The 72" length was perfect also, no long ends flopping around.

I plan on heading back to Cabelas, and grab another pair or two of these Danner laces.