Salomon quest 4d 3 experiences

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone on here worn the 3rd generation of the Salomon quest?? Any issues with durability? I have worn the previous generations and I loved how they fit, but the water proofing couldn't be trusted. Wondering if they have resolved this issue. Thanks!!

mac87toy

FNG
I just got a set of them and they switched from metal lace holders to plastic and the first time i tied them on tight one broke. They warranted it but was still a huge pain and makes me really questions walking 5 miles back and then the lacing grommets breaking. I still have a set of the original quest 3D's that i have beaten the tare out off for almost 10 years and still love them. Not water resistant anymore but I have more then gotten my money out of them on LOTS and LOTS of hunts and hikes.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 84

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Crap I didn’t even notice they had the plastic for laces. I just checked my pair. That’s weak! It’s my go too boot as I have odd feet. God knows I’ve trued all the high end euro boots. Hanwag is the only one that remotely works for my foot in a wide last but for 100-175 miles of hiking during elk season I normally can only get a few days of 8-10 miles in em before my feet scream. I always bring two pairs and leave one in the truck.
Ya the Quest aren’t fully waterproof but outside of that I’ve had zero issues and I’ve really beat on mine with. I’ve badica done zero maintenance on them at all and my current pair prob has 250-300 miles in em.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a set of them and they switched from metal lace holders to plastic and the first time i tied them on tight one broke. They warranted it but was still a huge pain and makes me really questions walking 5 miles back and then the lacing grommets breaking. I still have a set of the original quest 3D's that i have beaten the tare out off for almost 10 years and still love them. Not water resistant anymore but I have more then gotten my money out of them on LOTS and LOTS of hunts and hikes.

This sucks to hear. I have a couple of pair and was looking to buy one of the new ones. I wonder if it's just a fluke. Does make me second guess my thought about the purchase. The 4d 2 GTX has been the best hiking/hunting boot I have ever tried. I had been looking at other boots, but hate to leave such a good fitting boot.

I think they have been out for a couple of years now right? I imagine if the breakage keeps up they and they keep warrantying them, then they will make a change soon.

OP
S

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I've searched high and low (and spent a lot of money) trying to find a boot as comfy as the quests. I'd be willing to pay more if they'd increase the quality of the materials to increase durability.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at my 2nd gen boots and they also have the plastic lace eyelets on the foot section where the picture shows one broke.

They do have metal for the ankle lock and ankle eyelets.

I have a pair on my feet right now trying on around the house.

I tried on a pair at a store that fit well and then ordered a pair online in a different color that squeezed my toes. Trying a third pair on right now. There is still a slight contact point on top of my pinky toe. It’s not really noticeable while walking but is annoying while sitting. Probably going to send them back.

joney

FNG
i just bought my first pair this year and i swear taking them off is hard. i don't know how to effectively release the lace locks they have! I feel like i'm about to rip the little plastic piece off

EastMont

FNG
That took me forever to figure out. You have to pull the lace up at a certain angle to release it. Pretty much up and forward toward the toe and then you'll be able to pull the string out back towards your heel.

Awesome boots, I feel dumb for wearing heavy danners for so long. I'm on my second pair. The first wasn't waterproof despite the goretex. Returned and got a new pair from REI

joney

FNG
That took me forever to figure out. You have to pull the lace up at a certain angle to release it. Pretty much up and forward toward the toe and then you'll be able to pull the string out back towards your heel.

Awesome boots, I feel dumb for wearing heavy danners for so long. I'm on my second pair. The first wasn't waterproof despite the goretex. Returned and got a new pair from REI
Wow that works way better! Thanks!

Have 2 pairs. They have worked very well for me. Hunted elk the last 5 out of 6 years in them. can't tell you how many miles i have put on them. i hunt north west part of colorado first or second week of archery. pretty dry that time of year. Buy a pair that fits your foot and break them in and you'll be fine.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and bought a pair of the new style. I bought them at my local Cabela’s/Bass pro because they specifically state they give a 1 year warranty on boots/shoes sold there. I have to wonder if you continually go in year after year because they leak water, if eventually they would put pressure on Salomon.

Regardless, I actually don’t care if they leak. They are just that comfortable and I’ll just swap them out with another pair I own and let the wet pair dry. I can see this being an issue in the back country if you only bring one pair because of weight. But it might be worth it to add the extra lbs on the pack in.

I’ve put 10 miles on the new boots and they are starting to ‘break in’. There doesn’t seem to be any difference in fitment from the previous generation. If their comfort continues I’ll stick with them. I can deal with moisture issues by wearing good socks.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I am a little more than a year in and primarily wear them for work outdoors, but have spent a week wearing them on a Wyoming hunt last fall. I was impressed to start, but after hitting the year mark, they have become less impressive every time I wear them.
The tread has held up well considering the every changing environment of the coastal southeast, hot and dry to humid and wet.
My feet have remained dry, except for days where by 11am I am soaking wet, sweating in what feels like 100% humidity and nothing is dry.
With that said, they are not very comfortable to wear any longer and the sole has begun to delaminate from the foot bed on one boot.

Block

WKR

10 years!? How many times have you had a new bottom put on ?! I can’t get a boot to last 1 year lol

mac87toy

FNG
10 years!? How many times have you had a new bottom put on ?! I can’t get a boot to last 1 year lol
not once yet. I hunt a lot of softer earth areas, but they are pretty dang busted down now and dont have much life left in them at all. I also have bad ankles and knees so I dont beat the devil out of mysefl and i also doint wear my boats on cement pretty much ever.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I had an identical experience. First time lacing them to wear around the house and one of the plastic ankle eyelets broke off.

prm

WKR
I’ve tried others but have gone back to Salomons. They simply work better with my feet. Never had an issue in the three pairs I’ve had (1st and 2nd gen).