Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX Lace Eyelet Broke - HELP

Fryeloc

FNG
I have a relatively new pair of Salomon Quest 4D 3 Gtx, and one of the plastic lace eyelets broke, the rivet is still in place. I ordered some all metal lace eyelets to replace it, but unsure how to go about replacing it. Anyone had any experience with this?

I was thinking about drilling the existing rivet out, but then how to get the new rivet in place would out undoing stitching?

Thanks in advance

peterk123

WKR
Bring it back to where you purchased it. Salomon should replace your boots. Make sure to bring the pair with you. I had the same thing happen with my Oboz Bridgers. No questions asked. I had a new pair almost instantly.

I had a pair of Salewa boots sent to Dave Page in Seattle to repair a broken eyelet. It was covered by warranty. I could hardly see where the stitches were opened. Salomon has a good customer service. Send them an email with photos.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

syoungs

FNG
If out of warranty, any decent cobbler should be able to repair if you cant figure a good way.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm.. thank you for reporting this here.

My new pair I got this year... developed a bit of a tear in the sole. (First mile of my one hike-in is very rocky) The prior pair lasted like 3-4 years, with a good number of miles on 'em.

So I fixed it with shoe goo. Seems to be holding. But I bought another slightly lesser model from them as a backup is case it didn't hold.

So hrmm.. wonder if somebody tried to go cheap on production costs, and this is the result? QA/Reliability Problems?

OP
F

Fryeloc

FNG
Thanks all! Warranty process initiated.. will see what happens. If granted looks like store credit, so may still look at a repair....

EdP

WKR
Plastic eyelets on a pair of boots for back country use strikes me as a very bad idea. I'd be looking to have all of them replaced with metal.

OP
F

Fryeloc

FNG
Warranty refund issued... Just have to wait for some to be in stock.

Yea I wasn't back country, and it wasn't that big of a deal as it was kind of an annoyance. Will be getting more serious boots in the future but for now 2 pairs of these will do. Also after I replace the failed eyelets with metal ones.

Good to know that they issued the warranty. I’ve got the same pair and haven’t found them to be bad for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used jb weld to fix an eyelet on mine. Past the warrenty period, so I had nothing to loose. Cleaned with acetone on a q-tip and then inserted a straw into the eyelet to stop the JB from settling. Held up all hunting season. No sign of separation yet.

laclement

FNG
Just put in a warranty claim for mine. I've only had them about 9 months. We will see what they say. I really don't need a new pair but once I saw they have this warranty on them I figured I might as well start there before I try to glue them up or replace the eyelet.

laclement

FNG
Well they are sending me a new pair, took less than 12 hours for them to respond. I will definitely be taking both pairs and leaving one in the truck this year. I was a little worried if they would refund the full price since I got them 30% off and they wanted a picture of my receipt but they did.

prm

WKR
I've been a big fan of the Salomon Quest. I've tried many different boots and still haven't found one that keeps my feet as comfortable after many miles in the mountains. I believe my original pair had medal eyelets, and the newer versions have the plastic. I just had an eyelet pull out of one boot.