Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX versus Mountain Boots

I'm curious if anyone has made the switch from mountain boots (e.g. Hanwag, Meindl, Crispi) to the Salomon Quest 4D boots. I have been running Hanwag Trapper Tops for several years and love the support, but I'm intrigued to try something that is way lighter and nimble for hunts where I am not on extremely rocky ground. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, just looking to see if someone has made a similar change and what did you think?

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch. I've had Lowa Tibets, Meindl Vakuum Hunters, and Kennetrek MEs. The Lowa Tibets are the only boots i still have. I switched to the Quests specifically because of the weight savings. It's only one pound, but man does it make a difference. I've come to learn that the one issue i need in any boot is that the sole is rugged enough so i don't feel sharp rocks or pebbles under my feet. I think a lot of people wear too much boot and it lets them get a little sloppy vs wearing a lighter boot and having to concentrate on their foot placement and how to stabilize their body using those fast twitch muscles. I say go for as light of a boot as you can comfortably get away with. I would make the same decision over again and again. I can feel a difference in fatigue levels at the end of the day, especially in my hip flexors. I say go for it. The Salomons are not a huge step down from mountain boots, but i think they're a perfect middle ground from Mountain Boots and Trail Runners.

Hondo

WKR
I have the Hanwag Elite Trapper boots and the Salomon Quest 4D boots and consider both to be excellent boots, just for different conditions. The Hanwag feel lighter than some other leather mountain boots I've worn but the Salomon definitely feel more nimble while still offering good support. I know a Wyoming backcountry guide that wears them and really likes them for early season and he has put many more miles on his than mine.

I'm generally not a fan of boots that have uppers designed with lots of fabric/leather panels stitched together as opposed to a single to a few pieces of leather because I'm old enough to have experienced a lot of boot failures in my lifetime but the Salomon is as good as a boot I've worn in that category. I am inclined to wear gaiters on them more often than with other boots.

I run the salomons and lowa tibets. I prefer the fit and weight of the salomon but they will leak eventually. If dry conditions are forecasted I run salomons. I wear the Tibets everyday I work. I am an electrician and they are awesome on ladders and concrete as well. For wet conditions I wear tibets and kuiu yukon gaiters.

OP
BCBackcountry
You guys answered all my questions, thanks! I'll definitely give them a shot - especially since they just went on sale for 25% off.