Salomon Quest 4d gtx Comparable Fit

I've had two pairs of Salomon Quest 4d gtx and love the fit but the waterproofing just doesn't last like I want it to. Anyone with experience with the 4d gtx have some suggestions for similar fitting boots?

Last edited:
Completely different type of boot and this may just be my feet, but I tried on three to four dozen (at least) different boots last year. The Quest 4Ds fit my feet very well in all ways except they pinched down on my pinky toes too much that it was annoying. The only other boot I found that I like more was Meindl Comfort Fit Hiker.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging this one as I love those boots as well but have experienced the same. I think the lifetime I've had with them is fairly standard for GoreTex. I'm switching to the Salamon X Ultra 3 Mids to have a lighter-weight boot (almost 14oz difference for the pair).

Vasque breeze at gtx is similar but with much better ankle support. Very nice foot bed.

Cliffy12

WKR
Just FYI the gore tex lining in Salomons is life time. You can send them to gore tex and the will warranty them.
I love the Salomon and have never had a problem with the water proofing.
I did try others Crispi, lowa, kenetrek, and a few others just couldn't find 1 to fit like the Salomon. For what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
The Ultra mid run AT LEAST a half size smaller. 11.5 in the Ultra Mid was TIGHT on me and 11 in the GTX is about perfect

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Salewa Mtn Trainers are the closest I've found. They have a narrowish heel with a great toe box. I listened to a lot of people say Salewa runs narrow, but these boots are anything but narrow. Check out "EPIC boot review" and you can see pictures and comparisons.

Savage99

WKR
Normally a 12, but I bought a 12.5 in the 4D’s. I “felt” like I needed more toe room (length and volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
My 4D’s fit me like a glove. I would like a more stiff and stouter boot, but seems like a expensive trip down a rabbit hole.
“If it ant’ broke, don’t fix it.”

Wrongside

WKR
My 4D’s fit me like a glove. I would like a more stiff and stouter boot, but seems like a expensive trip down a rabbit hole.
“If it ant’ broke, don’t fix it.”
I like the Salomons, and they are a decent value if purchased on sale. But, they are not what I'd consider durable mountain boots. The thing with many of the more expensive, heavier built boots is, they are generally much more durable. The cost per mile is probably lower with a backpacking or mountaineering class Hanwag, Lowa, etc.

I love my Quest 4D GTXs, they fit me like a glove....but I get one season out of them before I start getting leaks. I put a lot of miles on them during that season, but do not think enough to wear through the gor-tex. I run the Lowa boots which fit a little bit different, but they last longer. I still run the Quests once they lose their water profess during mostly dry conditions because they fit my feet so well!