Salomon quest 4d GTX slipping on snow/slush?

Helped my brother pack out and elk tonight in an area with about 2 inches of fresh snow and a lot of slush because of daytime temps in the 40s. I grabbed my new quests because they're my favorite boots, and was a bit disappointed with their performance. I felt traction issues climbing hills with slush. Looking at our tracks, my brothers hiking boots looked like a solid print, mine were very elongated and clearly showed slipping. I nearly fell many times coming down hill loaded up and he only had a few mild slips. Has anyone had issues with quests performance in snow/slush?

OP
E
I would guess it’s the Indian and not the arrow. My buddy is always slipping, sliding, falling.
That could certainly be the case, but generally I'm quite sure footed, it definitely stood out to me as being abnormal

Venom One

WKR
I have the same boot, plus the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX - both have the Contagrip sole - and I feel they slip more than they should. For me it's most noticeable on wet ground. I've checked reviews for traction/grip complaints, but most people rave about it so I just chalked it up to me. I'm certain that my cheap Irish Setter Elk Trackers were far better grip-wise. In all fairness, the Elk Trackers do have lugs that are 2-3x deeper than the Salomons, but even walking on wet logs, the Elk Trackers rarely slipped. With the Salomons, it seems like I'm always slipping on wet logs. I think the soles are a harder compound for longevity, but at a cost to traction. Like you, I love my Salomons, but the grip isn't stellar.

Firehawk

WKR
I noticed my older Lowa Tibets being extremely slippery on icy conditions. Sidewalk, Driveway, mountain side etc. My Salomons were a little bit better, but still a little sketchy sometimes.

My Danner Santiams were AMAZING for traction, but unfortunately, they never quite fit my feet right, but the sole stuck like velcro to icy hillsides.Air Bob Sole.jpg

Venom One

WKR
I noticed my older Lowa Tibets being extremely slippery on icy conditions. Sidewalk, Driveway, mountain side etc. My Salomons were a little bit better, but still a little sketchy sometimes.

My Danner Santiams were AMAZING for traction, but unfortunately, they never quite fit my feet right, but the sole stuck like velcro to icy hillsides.View attachment 345534
The Irish Setter Elk Trackers have a similar sole so there's something to this design.

1636668624209.png

Vandy321

WKR
That could certainly be the case, but generally I'm quite sure footed, it definitely stood out to me as being abnormal
I'm always sure footed, until I'm not.

Melted snow and mud is never easy, doubt a different sole would have made a difference.

wet rocks is where I have noticed a dif in traction...some rubber is just pretty hard and slips, some sticks like glue. But I don't think any boot will not slip in melted snow turned ro mud, especially with weight.

slvrslngr

WKR
My experience with Quests is the same as the op, poor traction in the snow and mud. They were about useless unless on dry ground.

Werty

WKR
I personally never had any issues with mine last year. Used them from early season in the breaks, too late season in the mountains, all in MT.

TheGDog

WKR
Yes.. they are the most comfortable right out of their box... but you can't trust the soles on the Quest GTX. My first pair? Though the traction sucked on river rocks (leading to a shattered wrist!) those ones lasted a good while. Maybe 3 yrs with A LOT of outings, at least 2-4 per month.

Next pair I got? Damn soul tore WAY prematurely, so EFF that. Not buying them anymore, unless it's just for regular recreational hiking perhaps.

Also with those Quest's.. don't leave them sitting out in the Sun with the soles pointed up at the sun. Used to do that before I got my Peet's Boot Dryer. BAD BAD idea... the sun makes the soles harden-up and get more slippery!

Rt now have some Lowa Zephyrs, and some Cabelas 1200gr insulated which are big heavy clunky leather ones. Both of those have much better tractions than the Quest soles.

Again... I just would NOT put my trust in those boots ever again. For regular "hiking" probably fine. But for hunting hard and busting thru stuff.. naw man... bump that!

Pro953

WKR
I cannot give you an exact reason but I have had the same experience. I really like them for early season and desert type terrain. But come fall when it’s muddy I have started to use some other boots. One too many slips to make it worth the risk.

I would also recommend you consider trekking poles. Yes you will look like a sissy along with the rest of us. But your less likely to end up on your back trying to figure out what just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar experience. I lost count how many times I ate it in the Salomons. I am not the most coordinated hunter out there, but that said, I went to a stiffer boot (Crispi Colorado) this season and felt much more stable on the uneven stuff.

That said, if the Crispi's fit like my Salomons then you'd have the ideal boot, but they don't so the search continues...

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely checkout those Lowa Zephyr's! And they're only like near 200$. I'm extremely nit-picky with shoe fit/feel, cause my feet self-destruct EASILY, and I've been liking these Zephyr's. Will def be buying more. It's the slightest hair less comfortable then the Quest 4's. But I think it's only because they use a stiffer tread compound. My figuring is Salomon likely uses a softer rubber compound to further contribute to the instantly comfy fit/feel, cause that's for sure gonna sell a lotta boots to somebody like me who is picky about the fit/feel.

And the EXTREMELY brief performance of that last pair of Salomon's soles, for me, pretty much confirms that suspicion as being most likely culprit. That and the sun exposure causing hardening, and slipperiness that must be scratched and warn-thru by wearing them for a bit again to scrub off the layer of sole that's become hardened due to sun/snow exposure.

Mine were pretty slippery in the mud and it didn’t seem like my buddy was having the same issue. I also found them extremely slippery on wet granite when my brother was having no problem in other boots. I have 3 pairs of these and like them for everything else but I’m on the hunt for something different for those sort of conditions. I don’t think the rubber is soft enough which makes them last forever but doesn’t stick on wet rock and the tread design doesn’t seem to shed mud well enough to get traction.

OP
E
I'm glad to hear a few other have had similar experiences, I think I'll save them for dryer hunts but won't take them in steep terrain with fresh snow just to be safe. Wouldn't want to have a fall/break a bone in the backcountry.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
They probably don't have as a good of a sole as other boots, but what they may lack there, they make up for in comfort, weight, and waterproofing. Slushy snow in steep country is just plain slippery, and no boot is perfect in every respect.

VXdude

FNG
I agree with the author of this thread about the Quest's soles being slippy in slush and snow. Even here in Indiana over the winter, I have to be sure about where my foot is over rougher terrain. Yes they keep my feet dry (for the most part) and warm, BUT their soles suck!!

I replaced a pair of Vasque Wasatch that I had since 2008. Those were fantastic and I wish I could find ones like that again.

The original sole design was more for trails but worked well in any dry conditions and is still ny go to boot. Snow or rain and trying to sidehill will almost guarantee little to no traction. Similar conditions in Schnees Beartooth or Cabelas Meindl Denali and I have no issue with traction.
this year I got a new pair and after years of complaints they finally listened and changed the sole up. So far been pretty good but haven’t used in rain or snow much.