Salomon Quest 4D

OkieElk

FNG
For the 3 years I have been wearing a pair of Vasque hiking boots in a 12W. They fit my feet like a glove and I loved them. Unfortunately, I left the pair onto of my patio table to dry after a cleaning last spring and my black lab decided she wanted them. The back of one boot was completely gone, the other left unharmed. I order the newer pair of Vasque St. Elias in a 12 as these looked like the newest pair of the boot I had. I was really bummed when I tried the boot on and it was too narrow. I ordered a 12W in the boot and found that it was also too narrow(didn't notice much of a difference between the pairs).

I then tried a pair of the Salomon Quest 4D in a 12 at a local store and determined they were a little too narrow. It seems Salomon does not make a larger width so I ordered a pair of 12.5's. I tried them on and they fit well, but a touch too long which created pinch over the top of my foot towards my toes. I did some moving around the house and decided I wouldn't be able to make do with the nagging pinch.

I typically were a 12W in most shoes and sometimes a 12E.

Please let me know if you have an recommendations for me to try out. I am wanting a quality boot, and would like to stay below the $230 mark. Thank You All

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i recently switched from salmon quest 4d to the cripis. i dont have many trail miles logged but they have been super comfy wearing around the house

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a pair of quest 4d's and sent them back because they just didn't fit right. I replaced them with Crispi nevada's and could not be happier. They were great straight out of the box.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swapped from the 4D's to La Sportiva Trango TRK's and they are super comfortable and wider than the quests. At least for me. They feel like a sturdier boot too, over the quests. I added a pair of green smart feet in them for arch support and have been super impressed thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
I need a real narrow heel but wider at the toes and the 4D fits me like a glove. I mistakingly bought a wide lasted shoe from Zamberlan once and it was definately a no go. The Vioz Plus may fit the bill if you need a boot for a real wide foot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ no go because it was too wide throughout?

if you need really wide- Kenetrek's wide is very wide

other shoes that offer wide- some Lowa's, some Zamberlan and Schnee's- these will likely bust your $230 cap though

Keen runs wide, I have their Aphlex, but I find it a little light and a little flexible for hunting steep/rugged country

Tex68w

WKR
I am currently running the 4D's, my only complaint is that they are super stiff new, like mountaineering stiff. They broke in well and my previous pair held up well for my last year in the Army. I was a Lowa guy prior to the 4D's and ran them while I was in the Army with good results as an everyday boot but they aren't supported as well and almost too flexible in the mountains for my taste. I am going to look at Asolo and La Sportiva for my next pair probably this summer.

So i used to wear the Quest 4D in 12 too, i wish the toe box was wider too, and i was tired of quickly they fell apart.. i could get one season out of them, maybe....and they leaked pretty bad, however they were comfortable, but they shrunk too after a lot of use, and cause there sole is soft once you get a couple hundred miles on them they toes curl, making them smaller.

I looked high and low and tried on everything. I mean everything, (lowa, zamaberlins, Crispi,Kenetreks, Schnees and so on and so forth) I ended up getting the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. Love them, me feet thank me too. Sure they cost more, but as long as you wax them, they stay in great shape. They have the wider toe box like what you appear to be looking for, however they are more snug in the heel then most boots in the wide size. I tried them all and for my feet the Scarpa's were the boots...I put some super feet insoles in them (green color). The stiffer shank holds up well in the steep Colorado mountains.

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
MT WARDEN,
I have a pair of kenne's and I love the fit, unfortunately they are 200gr insulate and that's too warm for and early season boot and Im trying not to go overboard on the cost. Anyone have opinion on Lowe's and model?

Thank You All