Salsa & Hot Sauce!

Whisky

WKR
I have a plethora of hot sauces in stock at all times. What sauce I use varies on what I'm cooking.
Mexican = Tapatio or Melinda's Green
Pizza/general purpose = Cry Baby Craigs/Tobasco
Chicken/fried food = Franks/Crystal/Louisiana

I will also second Mateo's for a store bought salsa. And the Mrs. Renfros are pretty good also, especially mango habanero.

wesfromky

WKR

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to make my own also, but Pepper Palace has a very good variety of sauces and salsas for someone wanting to buy. Their "The End" sauce is the hottest I have ever experienced.

Unclecroc

FNG
I make my own hot sauces from peppers that I grow. My favorite is a mango habanero sauce I made this year. It goes well with literally everything.

Attachments

• 21C5404C-C2AE-4E3D-8892-1DFD3B81A3DD.jpeg
    21C5404C-C2AE-4E3D-8892-1DFD3B81A3DD.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 36

Agross

WKR
Again you guys are costing me money. I usually always have 4 or 5 different hot sauces. After this thread I’m at 8 and that’s probably gonna go up. Can’t wait to try some of these . I go through a lot of hot sauce.

xcutter

WKR
CA Johns Reaper Salsa - Caution this is very tasty and stupid hot after you already ate too much.

Your butt will hate you the next day. Feel the burn.

Clarktar

WKR
I make my own fermented hot sauces. Just made a batch of habanero and red serrano. I almost died when I opened the blender up.

Once you make your own, you can't ever go back to store bought stuff.
Let's get a recipe or instruction on making one!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Tascosa or Clint's are my go to now but when we go down to Texas I stop by Hess Meats and get some of Smoke's Hot Hatch salsa.

Titan

WKR
I haven't used vinegar in my sauces yet. Mine are just lacto fermented in a salt solution and then I store in the fridge. At minimum they last 1-2 months. Never had one last past that point.

Are you adding white/apple cider vinegar after blending? Might need to try some on my next batch.

Here's a quick rundown on how to make a fermented hot sauce:

Glass Jar - I like to use the widemouth straight side - easier to keep peppers submerged
Either a jar weight or quart plastic bag
Airlock or lid for the jar
non iodized salt
gloves - obviously
distilled water
Peppers of your choice (fan favorite is 75% jalapeno 25% serrano). Fermenting seems to tone down the heat
onions/garlic
carrots
Xanthan gum (not necessary but worth it in my opinion)

I like to keep pepper colors the same for the vibrant colors. I did a yellow bell pepper with Hungarian yellow peppers and a couple habanero for heat. Crazy yellow color

1. Cut the stem of the peppers and split them in half. You don't want air bubbles caught inside the peppers. I like to pull the seeds out at this point as well.
2. Drop them down into the jar
3. Add whatever else you like - onion, garlic (go fresh, not powdered), carrots add slight sweetness and color
4. Make a 3-5% salt solution in the distilled water. Kitchen scale comes in handy here.
5. Cover peppers in solution
6. Add airlock lid or fill the ziplock with more salt solution and drop it down to keep the peppers submerged
7. Let it sit on the counter, out of the sun
8. Ferment for 1-4 weeks. The water will start to turn milky - this is normal. Brown/black mold is not the good stuff. If it starts to develop on top, you can scoop out and keep going.
9. If you did not buy a cheap airlock on amazon, you need to burp it 1-2 times a day. Otherwise you have made a hot sauce bomb.
10. When it has reached your desired ferment time, pull the peppers out with tongs and drop in a blender. Add a some liquid from your jar. I usually go 50% liquid from the ferment and 50% more distilled water. Otherwise it can get a little too salty. During the blend, you can add a 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum to keep it from separating in your container. Or you can just shake it up every time you use it. It does allow you to make a little more runny sauce without it being a straight liquid.

This is habanero/red serrano sauce with some orange bell pepper for more volume. I grew the red serranos, I did not want to de-seed 50 tiny peppers. You can see that the blender can quite liquify them all. The other half of the ferment will go for another week and I am going to add some black garlic during the blend.

IMG_9342.jpg

J5ady

FNG
Tapatilo has been a staple in my diet for years- on wings out of the air fryer, blend Tapatilo with honey…. Hits the spot!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I make my own salsa, and like Franks Red Hot, Texas Pete's, and Louisiana for hot sauces. Melt a stick of butter in the hot sauce and then I have wing sauce.