Salt Lake City...could I live there?

So I might have an opportunity for a job outside salt lake city in ogden and I'm wondering if I could make the move and be happy.

Little about me...I'm from so cal originally ( insert your comments here). I work for the military and I'll leave it at that. Currently I'm stuck on the east coast and ready to go back west. I however know nothing about Utah other then a few trips in college to play Utah and BYU. I'm not religious at all but like all of you I love the mountains and outdoor lifestyle and That part really excites me about Utah however I'm nervous that my wife daughter and I will fit in and have a good life there.

I'm hoping you guys who know can give me some feedback.. Like what's a good place to live for a guy like me and will this be a good place to raise my daughter? I'll take any thing I can get that might help me make the best decision for my family.

Thanks for any inputs

Matt

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt, I wouldn't worry to much about religion and fitting in your family will be welcomed. Hill field traffic can suck which I'm sure your use to working for the military. Drawing tags can be an issue but there is general tags to had usually. Utah isn't my favorite western state to live in but it's a great place to raise my kids. Hopefully some guys from northern Utah answer your questions little better

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
We moved from Portland to Ogden a number of years ago. We are not LDS. Took a while to get used to the culture, but once we did we loved it, hated to leave actually.

Were I you, I would make sure to buy or rent a house in a predominantly non-LDS neighborhood. Up on the bench above Weber State is a good example - at least it was when we lived there. And you'd be literally a block away from hiking, mountain biking, and snow shoeing in the winter. Great skiing, good hunting within a few hours, pretty close to Vegas if that's your thing, Moab, Zion, St. George area. Lots to see and do.

If you're politically liberal, my advice would be don't get involved in the politics and you'll be fine.

We liked it so much there is a good chance we'll move back when we retire.

OP
W
Thanks guys. Yeah I try not to get to caught up in the religion thing but it seems to overwhelm all the google searches I do. But I definitely worry about my daughter being ostersized cause we are not LDS or religious at all.

As far as politics go I'm not liberal at all...working for the military fixed me...lol oh and my dad wouldn't have that..lol. But raising a family I sort of like the more conservative approach however I don't agree with telling people how live...so I guess I hate both parties on that front.

I'm really excited about all the outdoor activities to do..I miss my mountains..

So is hard to get tags as a resident? Are the general units crowded? Like CO OTC crowded?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
All tags are draw expect archery elk. Most general elk tags are for spikes but depends on unit. All deer tags are draw some units are easier. Hunting is popular so crowding can be an issue, but opening weekends are worst. You can find areas of solace if your willing to work into areas that limit easy access

OP
W
All tags are draw expect archery elk. Most general elk tags are for spikes but depends on unit. All deer tags are draw some units are easier. Hunting is popular so crowding can be an issue, but opening weekends are worst. You can find areas of solace if your willing to work into areas that limit easy access

Thanks. Much appreciated. I pretty much only hunt with a bow anymore and I love a good hard to reach spot that takes a little ruck to get too.

RUTTIN

WKR
I live about an hour away from Ogden in a small town called kamas, I am LDS as most people around here are, but there are a lot that aren't and I don't see them getting treated any differently. My kids have a bunch of friends that aren't and most people don't push religion on them. You will have those people that want to send the missionaries to your house though. Northern Utah I think is great, you would be close to the Uinta's which is a over the counter any bull unit for elk, there is plenty of room to get away from people and with a little boots to the ground you can find elk. I love the Wasatch front extended archery deer hunt the best, nothing like bowhunting mule deer in November. Lots of lakes within an hour to catch many different species of fish. Good luck to you in your decision hope all works out for you!

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I recently moved from CO to Lehi, UT, which is just south of SLC. I have to kids in grade school. We are not LDS and have not had any issues. I am really enjoying Utah for many reasons. Mostly though, the people and community is what really makes this place great. Everyone is generally very nice and outgoing. Family is a number one focus in the community. The school we send our kids too is great. We heard a lot of rumors about what to expect living in Utah prior to moving here. None have turned out to be true. Access to the mountains is awesome!!

I moved from Tennesse to SLC Utah and now in CA. Utah is great and if you love the outdoors, it's a great place to live. Bonneville Shoreline trail, Moab, Fruita, the Wasatch Range, & Provo River for fly fishing are all within a short trip. I'd move back....and I'm far from being LDS.

OP
W
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I have nothing against LDS. In fact when I was doing the whole Afghanistan thing one of the best guys that had my back better then anyone was LDS from Utah. Amazing man..got nothing but love and respect for him, and I know he can't wait to go back home. I just mainly want to get the warm fuzzy that my daughter will get along good. If everyone is about family then it sounds perfect...thats number one to me now...otherwise I'd still be doing dumb things to get my jollys off.

As far as the hunting front goes it sounds awesome. Better then Cali or being stuck in DC dealing with traffic and people everywhere you look. That November mulie hunt sounds cool. And love the idea of learning some new country...

jgeary338

Lil-Rokslider
I got stationed here not to long ago from texas. The ogden area is awesome, and utah has so much outdoor activities to offer no matter the time of year. So far this is probably my favorite state I have lived in.

twall13

WKR
I live in the area you are looking at and while I am LDS I don't think that should make a difference either way in your decision. In any state or city you will find neighborhoods that are more family friendly than others. Do some research on the specific neighborhood before making a housing decision. Seriously, knock on some doors and talk to people. That's the quickest way to get a feel for the neighborhood in my opinion. Utah in general is pretty family friendly. Find a decent neighborhood and your daughter shouldn't have any problems fitting in.

There are a lot of awesome recreational activities in Utah, especially if you enjoy the mountains. Good luck with your decision. Hit me up with a PM if you have any specific questions on things.

I live in Utah too, born and raised. I grew up about a half hour south of Hill AFB, and work there currently.
I don't think you'll have any problems with the locals (read LDS folks), the culture here is heavily focused on families and an all around great place to live, biases aside...
And I'll +1 what others have said about the extended archery season, it's good hunting.
Traffic to and from the base isn't awesome at peak times, but otherwise, no issues.
There is so much to do here, I think you and your family will really enjoy it.

Scrappy

WKR
So I might have an opportunity for a job outside salt lake city in ogden and I'm wondering if I could make the move and be happy.

Little about me...I'm from so cal originally ( insert your comments here). I work for the military and I'll leave it at that. Currently I'm stuck on the east coast and ready to go back west. I however know nothing about Utah other then a few trips in college to play Utah and BYU. I'm not religious at all but like all of you I love the mountains and outdoor lifestyle and That part really excites me about Utah however I'm nervous that my wife daughter and I will fit in and have a good life there.

I'm hoping you guys who know can give me some feedback.. Like what's a good place to live for a guy like me and will this be a good place to raise my daughter? I'll take any thing I can get that might help me make the best decision for my family.

Thanks for any inputs

Matt
This is an old thread im bringing back up to see if you made the move and was it a good decision since the wife and i are thinking about this area at the present.

I'm currently transitioning out of Utah but have lived in Ogden for 25 years. I moved here as an 18 yo. I've never had a problem with LDS even though I'm not a member. Like any other large group, some may treat you poorly, but most are great people who will go out of their way to help you out. And there will plenty of people for you to have a beer with too. I've seen a lot of changes in Ogden. Mostly good, but I do miss the old days when no one was in the local mountains because they were all gang-banging or high on meth ;) (old and wrong stereotype about Ogden from those in SLC).

Feel free to ask any specific questions about areas/neighborhoods, etc.

OP
W
This is an old thread im bringing back up to see if you made the move and was it a good decision since the wife and i are thinking about this area at the present.
I did not move to Ogden. They actually moved me to Colorado instead. But I go to Utah from time to time to MTN bike and stuff. Can't speak for Ogden but Utah seems great, at least to me

JCohHTX

FNG
Bringing this thread back to life for a second time. I am also considering a move to SLC for a new job opportunity with my family including three young children (3, 5, and 7). We are non-LDS. I read about kids being excluded from activities (like birthday parties e.g.) because they are not in the church. Any one have any experience with that?
Also, one of the biggest gripes seems to be air pollution. It is hard to tell if this is just the usual reddit bitching or a significant problem. Reviewing things like the AQI index puts SLC not much worse than other big cities in the West, like Denver. We are willing to live 30 to 40 minutes outside of town if it means better air quality. Curious to hear from folks who actually live there how bad the air really is during winter inversions and the (now) perennial forest fire season. Thanks!

ODB

WKR
That place has grown so much since I lived there in 1996 no one will know you've moved there. The sprawl from SLC north is unbelievable.