salt?

Thess87

WKR
I've asked a lot of questions on here and tried to help where I can as well (which isn't in the caribou section much yet lol) . Guys from the lower 48 do you bring salt on a fly in hunt? if so how much per bou? Just wondering about getting our capes back without slipping lord willing we get one that is. Thanks

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Buy salt locally and fly it in with you. I don't recall exactly, but thought it was a quart or little more per cape worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You can swing buy a local feed or animal supply store and buy salt in a 25lb or 50 lb sack I believe I don’t remember how big the bag we bought was.

I went moose hunting last year. From the time the moose hit the ground to the time it made it in cold storage was at the tail end of 5 days. We had salt but did not use it on the cape. We properly fleshed it and did our best to keep everything as cool as possible.

Chugaglug

FNG
Some flight services don’t allow salt, brooks range aviation doesn’t I know. We brought a tiny spray bottle and citric acid powder just incase but didn’t need, plenty of wind and cool enough at night at least. Had a gear fly to keep everything dry.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Some flight services don’t allow salt, brooks range aviation doesn’t I know. We brought a tiny spray bottle and citric acid powder just incase but didn’t need, plenty of wind and cool enough at night at least. Had a gear fly to keep everything dry.
We took enough salt for 8 bull capes if needed, and we flew with BRA. We double wrapped, sealed and placed in our bear barrels and they were satisfied with that.

Chugaglug

FNG
We took enough salt for 8 bull capes if needed, and we flew with BRA. We double wrapped, sealed and placed in our bear barrels and they were satisfied with that.

Cool, seems like something people should check with their transporters ahead of time, they told us straight up no but we can’t flesh a hide good enough anyways. At least people should be prepared to wrap it up good

ndbuck09

WKR
We took 2lbs per guy/per bull. We vac sealed the 2lbs so that it was neat and tidy in travel, through commerical and then the cub flight in. I did write "salt for cape" on the vac bag for the airline people that might be looking for other powdery white substances. As stated above, you're going to want to know how to turn ears and lips and flesh your hide. In that game, time is the ticket as it is a time consuming process for someone who doesn't do that sort of thing often. Our hides were out for 7 days in the field after the day or so it took to get em turned and fleshed. Then we got em in a freezer overnight, then they were in coolers in transit back home, then finally to the taxidermist. My hair did great! Have a tarp to keep the rain off once you salt em!

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
We set up an area for quartered meat and capes away from camp and out of the sun and rain. We stayed up on the slope for 10 days, the more experienced guys in our group showed and walked us thru proper caping and turning ears and nose. We spent half a day fleshing capes and getting it right and then applying salt. Our capes were in good shape when we got back into Fairbanks and held up fine on the return trip home. Our taxi was happy and had no issues when he received them.

Extended back country stay, it behooves you to know how to cape/turn/flesh and salt your hides.

Bmagee

Lil-Rokslider
We did some shopping in Fairbanks and picked up salt there. We allowed for approx 3 pounds per person (1 bull each). That was plenty. Had a guy harvest on day 2, mine on day 4 and last guy on day 7 or 8. We would glass a little, flesh a little, and after getting them fully fleshed with lips and ears done then salted. 3 pounds each was plenty. Make sure you have something to cover them with. It rained on us every other hour.

Talk to your taxidermist--every one has an opinion. I talked to mine and he wanted it salted because he would rather have a hard scraping hide than try to replace a nice cape. He also said to borax the velvet and not to scrape it next week. This might not be the way they all want it done but this is one taxidermists opinion.

jhm2023

WKR
No salt needed at all, especially if you don't completely flesh it and turn the lips, ears, etc. Treat the cape the same as your meat by keeping it COOL, DRY, AND CLEAN. If the meat is good then your hide will be good. That said you shouldn't ball it up in a game bag or plastic bag for the remainder of the trip and expect great results.

spin05

FNG
No salt needed at all, especially if you don't completely flesh it and turn the lips, ears, etc. Treat the cape the same as your meat by keeping it COOL, DRY, AND CLEAN. If the meat is good then your hide will be good. That said you shouldn't ball it up in a game bag or plastic bag for the remainder of the trip and expect great results.

That exactly what we did and i had zero hair slip.