Same bullet different groups?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, sorry this isn't a reloading questions per-sae....so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I'm not a reloader, I primarily buy factory loads from major manufacturers. With the ammo binge, I've had to scrounge around for ammo like most people who aren't reloaders.

I have a rifle elk hunt coming up this fall and a new scope on my 338 Win Mag. So I have to sight it in this summer and I'm starting now to look for ammo cuz I'm not sure what will group best in my rifle. (Yeah, I know, I picked the worst time to try to find different ammo for my rifle).

I have been able to find 4 different manufacturers. I have 3 boxes of 225 gr Accubond ArmsCor, 1 box of Choice 225 gr Accubonds, 1 box of Hornady 230 gr ELD-X and a half box of Federal 250 gr Partitions.

Obviously, I'm trying to see which one groups best and then buy more of it. But I won't know until I'm on the range.

My question is, should I expect the Accubonds all group similar, even though their from different manufacturers?

Ideally, I'd like to stick with the bonded bullets, but so far the Accubonds are all I've been able to find.

Granted, they're all from different manufacturers, and I'd assume they're all using different powder, primers or brass, which will probably effect accuracy as I figure out which load works best in my gun.

Thanks.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Only one way to know. You need to hit the range and shoot some groups. Let the gun tell you what it likes.
That's the plan! 😊

Just gotta wait for the snow to go away at the range. Owner got his side by side stuck last week trying to get in and see what the status was. Needless to say, it'll be a little while before I can get on the bench for some trigger time and find out.

I would expect all 4 to group differently for POI and group size. All 3 of those bullets will work just fine, only thing to keep an eye on is the muzzle velocity and corresponding impact velocity with the ELD-X. It's a little softer and messier, I shoot ELD at 2850 from a different caliber and they kill very well, I wouldn't push that bullet too near 3000 FPS though. Just a trade off for more consistent lower expansion performance.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I would expect all 4 to group differently for POI and group size. All 3 of those bullets will work just fine, only thing to keep an eye on is the muzzle velocity and corresponding impact velocity with the ELD-X. It's a little softer and messier, I shoot ELD at 2850 from a different caliber and they kill very well, I wouldn't push that bullet too near 3000 FPS though. Just a trade off for more consistent lower expansion performance.

I figured they would have different groups but just wanted some others thoughts.

I prefer the bonded bullets like the Accubonds over non-bonded SSTs or ELD-Xs or others. I just wanted to see if they grouped better, and in this ammo binge, beggars can't be choosers. I know accuracy trump's everything.

Can you explain your "messier" comment?

I figured they would have different groups but just wanted some others thoughts.

I prefer the bonded bullets like the Accubonds over non-bonded SSTs or ELD-Xs or others. I just wanted to see if they grouped better, and in this ammo binge, beggars can't be choosers. I know accuracy trump's everything.

Can you explain your "messier" comment?
Messier or more bloodshot. Accubonds are messy as well but ELD is a bit more.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Messier or more bloodshot. Accubonds are messy as well but ELD is a bit more.
Gotcha! So better blood trails? Maybe easier to track & some consider that a "better" thing, but maybe more meat spoilage?

I thought you meant they were more finicky to reload or difficult to group.

I know they are "softer" because they aren't bonded. So I appreciate the explanation.

WCB

WKR
For the Accubonds as you know....the only way to find out is to shoot it. Normally a gun like a bullet or it doesn't. However, one manufacturer may have a different accuracy spec say 3" @ 100yards while the other wants 1.5". Also some manufacturers just are not good at loading.

Accubonds in general are very accurate bullets.