Same spot or new spot every year?

Just curious if guys are hitting the same country every year or whether you hit different country on a regular basis?

In Idaho we hit the same spot for elk in Sept three years in a row but are changing it up this year. Wolves finally moved onto our string of ridge lines and where we typically hear 15 bulls a day, we were down to 2-3 with perfect weather in 3rd week in Sept. And we hunted a late season muley unit as our plan B for the last two years. Still searching for a high country honey hole at this point.

Mike

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, honestly its a combination of both. I have several spots that I know really well and can consistently find the deer there if I want to. I am constantly looking for new areas to try, and make it a point in August to take a couple of trips to the new areas I have map scouted.

For instance, last year I tried a new area and will likely go back based on the number of solid deer that I found there. The one weakness to this particular spot is that it had quite a few people there, even 5 miles back. So if I can find a spot that isn't hit quite as hard this year during my pack trips, that will be it. If not, I know where the deer went to hide out when the pressure came.

It has been the same spot for me for the past 9 seasons. It really helped to learn the terrain and habits of the elk. I was open to trying new country this year but I have a bull tag that is dragging me back for another year.

I like to check out a few new spots every year, but always fall back to the old ones when it gets down to the wire...

Rizzy

WKR
Mostly different spots every year, in fact 90% of the time I scout, it's new spots every scouting trip. I will go back to the productive spots at least once to see whats there, but once I learn an area and harvest I usually move on. This year I plan to go back to one of my Elk spots to see if that 5 point is a six point this year:)

bohntr

WKR
I have several different spots in various states that I rotate and hunt. So in essence, I hunt the same drainage/area, however, it may not be annually. It all depends on the winter kill (if any), buck to doe ratio, ability to draw, and recent trends. In the early summer is when I do my scouting trips to check new areas to see if I find something I want to put in the rotation. I can honestly say, that knowing an area very well and how deer utilize it is a critical key to continued success.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was same spot for 15 years in a row, but taking a break from blacktails this year to try high country Mulies in areas I have never hunted.

I have backcountry areas I try to go to most every year to fish and hunt. Somewhat due to tradition and somewhat because of success and feeling comfortable knowing the areas. I also like to try, learn and find new places. There are so many new places to explore and I'll never be able to find more awesome places unless I venture out and find them.

OP
Ridgerunner
I am guilty of the grass is greener over here at times too, or I am still looking for that mule deer honey hole filled with good bucks that no one else has discovered. I am trying to cut down on my areas though and really learn a couple like the backside of my hand.

I am guilty of the grass is greener over here at times too, or I am still looking for that mule deer honey hole filled with good bucks that no one else has discovered. I am trying to cut down on my areas though and really learn a couple like the backside of my hand.
I think in WA that is the key. We both know a father/son combo
That consistently pull 165"+ bucks out of the gpw. Only reason they do is they've been hunting the same drainage for years and know how to use other hunters to their advantage. At least I think you know who I am talking about! ;)

Mike

For elk I move around a lot. I cover a bunch of ground to see where they are at and when...etc.

For Mule Deer I have been putting in for the same unit ( or cluster of units ) and knowing i have a honey hole in that unit and finding new basins and areas on maps and from talking to people who might have been in the area at one time or another.

Segan

FNG
I really like to explore new country so I allow minimal scouting to the areas I know well. I figure its worth looking under a few new trees each year especially with tags becoming tougher to get year after year. With that being said Iam more efficient of a hunter in my favorite spots that I usually end up in every year.

I was looking at my google earth map just this past week of country that I have hunted and put a place mark over the years. I thought it was impressive to see all different angles of country, and realize how fortunate Iam to spend as much time in the mountains as I do.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
AMEN BOHNTR!

I hunt where ever my scouting leads me. Sometimes it's the same spot, sometimes miles and units, and states away, but virtually in all cases, I know the areas well. Too well by some standards (as in $ and time spent learning).

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
I usually have my go to spots that I keep tabs on, but im always out walking and glassing for new spots. If its the rut and im in the desert its more of a run and gun trying to catch up, in the summer I locate the water(scarce this year) and start my glassing around that. If its a good water source away from people ill set up a trail cam and let it tell me whats there when I am not. Daniel