Samick Discovery

Picked up a Discovery with the 45# R3 limbs a while back.

I'm just using a stick-on rest. Seems to shoot well, but I'm curious if anyone else is shooting a Discovery, and how you have it set up. I was kind of wanting to set it up for shooting off the shelf, but maybe it's best to leave it as is.

One of my 20 yard targets. Nice cluster with a couple flyers (keeping it real). I need to keep working on my release and follow through.

6EXsboQ.jpg

Kentucky

WKR
I don’t have a discovery, but I know a few guys that have them, they shoot off shelf and rest.. the rest will give for more clearance for a SLIGHTLY out of tune arrow. Plus I’m sure that stick on is just as durable as anything else.

Shoot whatever you shoot well.. those fliers are on the stiff side. strong steady bow arm, and expand through release, and micro tuning..that group at 20 (except fliers) is good for somebody who is just getting started.. most important is your form

I shoot mine off the shelf without any issues. I have recently switched from compound, so I may be doing it all wrong. Bow shoots well and I have no complaints. I used leather to build up both shelf and strike plate (Bear hair). Although rated at 50#, I'm pulling about 53# @ 28ish.

Attachments

• Shelf .jpeg
    Shelf .jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
M
Thanks for the info guys. I'm mostly shooting a 32" GT Warrior 340 with 250gr field tip.

I have other arrows from 600, 500, and 400 spine. I was doing some bare shaft testing a while back and was surprised to find that the bow handled even the lighter spines well. Even a 30" 600 spine with 200gr field tip was flying straight into the target at 15 yards.

Some 20 yard practice with the 340 spine/250 point.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm mostly shooting a 32" GT Warrior 340 with 250gr field tip.

I have other arrows from 600, 500, and 400 spine. I was doing some bare shaft testing a while back and was surprised to find that the bow handled even the lighter spines well. Even a 30" 600 spine with 200gr field tip was flying straight into the target at 15 yards.

Some 20 yard practice with the 340 spine/250 point.

MTMarine - How would you compare the Samick Discovery to the Bodnik Slick Stick you have...shooting, performance and feel?

OP
M
MTMarine - How would you compare the Samick Discovery to the Bodnik Slick Stick you have...shooting, performance and feel?

To me, they are like night and day.

The Slick Stick is lightweight, cut about center, very snappy. I would not call it 'forgiving' as some bows are described. When I get messy, the bow will definitely give the feedback.

The Discovery feels like an anchor in comparison, but that added weight really helps stabilize it. Also being cut well past center, a true centershot is possible. I've found it bare-shafts straight with arrows from 600 to 340 spine, all wearing a 200gr point.

Then there are the intangibles. The Discovery feels like a tool. The Slick Stick feels like it has some soul.

Here's a little vid I shot yesterday with the 50# Slick Stick. I just put the quiver on it and was checking it out. My first group was pretty messy. Second group I got on my game and did far better.

With my lighter 35# Slick Stick, it is a bit more forgiving, but the 50# Slick Stick will wake you up if you are falling asleep in class.....grin

OP
M
I just added a set of 30# limbs for the high-volume practice sessions. They are the Samick R3 62" limbs (ILF Long). Made a little vid doing some bareshaft testing.

Shane

OP
M
So with the 30# limbs and a 32" DL, I'm getting a 576gr arrow out at 165 fps.

That seems mighty fast for a 30# bow pushing 576 grains, regardless of the DL.

So I got to wondering where the speed would be at 28" draw. I marked the 576gr arrow at 28" with tape, and shot 10 or so over the chrono, short-drawing to 28". My average speed was right at 130 fps. Almost all fell between 128 and 134 fps.

So it seems to me that at a 28" draw, velocity is about where one might expect it to be.

The takeaway for me is going from 28" to 32" moved velocity from 130 up to 165 fps....a gain of 35 fps. To me that seems like a significant jump in speed for that extra draw length, with it's added weight, and length of power stroke.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to share that additional finding.

Shane

OP
M
The chrono does come in handy. I'm using an old Chrony F1 I picked up for $60 or so many years ago. I believe the Chrony company has gone out of business, but Caldwell makes a chrono that doesn't cost a fortune.

I'll bet those Uukha limbs are going to be nice.

oldgoat

WKR
An adjustable sideplate shelf-shooting configuration I came up with. Used a broken elevated rest, and some Velcro.

My rules for building out the strike plate is: it has to be easily replicated! I don't want to be a couple miles back in the Backcountry and not be able to replace it. So like a furniture pad like you put on a chair foot cut in half that has peel and stick adhesive, can put an extra in my backpack. They make them that are kind of like the pile side of Velcro, I also keep a little peel and stick Velcro in my pack for the shelf

OP
M
My rules for building out the strike plate is: it has to be easily replicated! I don't want to be a couple miles back in the Backcountry and not be able to replace it. So like a furniture pad like you put on a chair foot cut in half that has peel and stick adhesive, can put an extra in my backpack. They make them that are kind of like the pile side of Velcro, I also keep a little peel and stick Velcro in my pack for the shelf
That makes a lot of sense.