San Carlos Apache Reservation Malay Gap Archery

ElkChappo

FNG
Went on a Malay gap elk hunt on the San Carlos reservation. Drew the second hunt from September 21st to October 6th. The rut seemed to kick in around the 25th of September. Had bulls bugling around us every night after the 25th. At first I attempted to do this as a solo hunt with my dad. This was very difficult as we did not know the land or the migration habits of the elk . I had gone on a few scouting trips and never saw any elk I only saw Turkey and deer, but I knew they were in there after talking to the biologist Dan Juan. After about 4 days solo without success we were fortunate to run across a guide named Kendall Stanley who was helping his friend tag elk. Mr. Stanley offered his services and totally changed the way we hunted. He was an expert caller and had a very good working knowledge of not only the landscape but the pattern of elk movement as well. After meeting him and at his advice we moved camp about seven miles and were smack in the middle of the grazing grounds and bedding grounds and had action every morning. Mr. Stanley called in a 380 class bull that was solo from about 300 yards away. I had a long shot but hit a limb. It was day nine at this point and I was feeling pretty discouraged. However Mr. Stanley and his associate Mr. Sonny kept me and my dad in good spirits by planning out next move and taking us to a new lookout point. With 4 days left on the tag we were running out of supplies and stamina we decided to do one more morning hunt. As luck would have it we got into a herd about 8am. There were about 5 cows with one dominant bull and 3 satellite bulls that we could see. We could hear more in the gully but I never put eyes on them. Instantly Mr. Stanley knew what to do. He started to rake a tree and bugle simulating a dominant bull. This put the herd in a frenzy. We were able to stalk within a solid ambush point and call in 3 bull elk. I put a two arrows in a small 4x5 the second being a perfect heart shot with a muzzy trocar. The elk went down in about 80 yards within a minute. Mr. Stanley and Mr. Sonny worked together in perfect unison like two friends that had grown up hunting with each other. Their team work was so seamless that I couldn’t help but be in awe. I genuinely could not have done it without Mr. Stanley’s guide service. If you are thinking about doing It I would recommend going with a guide. I wasted 4 days when I was fresh just trying to get my bearings.

Things to consider about the San Carlos.

• It is not acceptable to consume alcohol while driving on dirt roads. They are not playing.
  • Keep a clean camp.
  • You will be approached multiple times my Rangers asking to see your license and tag. This will get annoying fast. Stopped at least 13 times sometimes by the same ranger. Even after expressing that we have already been checked and our permits are valid and in order we were still continuously asked to present out information repeatedly.
  • This is a remote hunt pack more food and especially gas.
  • Get a guide!
  • If it rains you WILL get stuck. I cannot stress this enough.
  • UTVS are not allowed.

Glad it worked out for you!!! Congratulations. I've been considering exploring the Rez option, but don't know if I want to spend that kind of money.

netman

WKR
What did that hunt cost? I was invited to hunt SC by a government hunter in 1999 to kill coyotes. I spent 10 days on the Rez killing coyotes.
The elk hunt back then was higher than giraffes pussy.

Gocougs

FNG
Went on a Malay gap elk hunt on the San Carlos reservation. Drew the second hunt from September 21st to October 6th. The rut seemed to kick in around the 25th of September. Had bulls bugling around us every night after the 25th. At first I attempted to do this as a solo hunt with my dad. This was very difficult as we did not know the land or the migration habits of the elk . I had gone on a few scouting trips and never saw any elk I only saw Turkey and deer, but I knew they were in there after talking to the biologist Dan Juan. After about 4 days solo without success we were fortunate to run across a guide named Kendall Stanley who was helping his friend tag elk. Mr. Stanley offered his services and totally changed the way we hunted. He was an expert caller and had a very good working knowledge of not only the landscape but the pattern of elk movement as well. After meeting him and at his advice we moved camp about seven miles and were smack in the middle of the grazing grounds and bedding grounds and had action every morning. Mr. Stanley called in a 380 class bull that was solo from about 300 yards away. I had a long shot but hit a limb. It was day nine at this point and I was feeling pretty discouraged. However Mr. Stanley and his associate Mr. Sonny kept me and my dad in good spirits by planning out next move and taking us to a new lookout point. With 4 days left on the tag we were running out of supplies and stamina we decided to do one more morning hunt. As luck would have it we got into a herd about 8am. There were about 5 cows with one dominant bull and 3 satellite bulls that we could see. We could hear more in the gully but I never put eyes on them. Instantly Mr. Stanley knew what to do. He started to rake a tree and bugle simulating a dominant bull. This put the herd in a frenzy. We were able to stalk within a solid ambush point and call in 3 bull elk. I put a two arrows in a small 4x5 the second being a perfect heart shot with a muzzy trocar. The elk went down in about 80 yards within a minute. Mr. Stanley and Mr. Sonny worked together in perfect unison like two friends that had grown up hunting with each other. Their team work was so seamless that I couldn’t help but be in awe. I genuinely could not have done it without Mr. Stanley’s guide service. If you are thinking about doing It I would recommend going with a guide. I wasted 4 days when I was fresh just trying to get my bearings.

• It is not acceptable to consume alcohol while driving on dirt roads. They are not playing.
  • Keep a clean camp.
  • You will be approached multiple times my Rangers asking to see your license and tag. This will get annoying fast. Stopped at least 13 times sometimes by the same ranger. Even after expressing that we have already been checked and our permits are valid and in order we were still continuously asked to present out information repeatedly.
  • Get a guide!
  • UTVS are not allowed.
I am brand new so I can’t pm you for 7 days but want to chat with you about this hunt some more. Thanks

netman

WKR
Elkchappo my dad and I went up a mountain on the Rez one day hunting cats. We were slipping through the big pines when we ran upon a hillside covered in elk. There were bulls that looked like tow trucks mixed in the herd. The wind shifted and they ran off. Our jaws were on the ground with the size of elk we were seeing. I told guys when we got home I seen legitimate 400” elk and they all made fun of me behind my back.
I killed a big bobcat not long after we seen the elk.
Then later that morning I called in a black bear whiled armed with a .17 Remington.
That Rez is really beautiful and game heavy. We seen quite a few javelinas out on the desert part of the Rez.
The guided elk hunt back then was $25k. But you could own the world record on that Rez.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider

• Keep a clean camp.
  • Get a guide!
  • UTVS are not allowed.
How do you draw a tag for San Carlos? Is it through the AZFGD draw or the Tribal Lottery? Please PM me as I’d love to learn.

Beendare

WKR
Was mr Sonny....Sonny Tapia...a big indian looking guy?

he is a Great hunter and caller....met him 25 yrs ago in that general area.