San Diego Mule Deer Tactics-Beginner Advice

timr00ger

FNG
I am an adult beginner hunter, with a few unsuccessful deer seasons behind me. Just wondering what tactics any successful San Diego area hunters use. Not looking for any tips on where to go, more so how to hunt the chapparal and scrub oak choked hellscape that covers most of our backcountry.

I see a lot of tree stands in Mt Laguna area, and I see some people use ground blinds on Youtube. So far I have only done 2 seasons of archery down here, but I have a tag for general season this year and plan on using my rifle.
I have made makeshift natural ground blinds (and I am sure the deer smelled/spotted me) with no luck.

In the few open-ish areas we have down here I have tried glassing for spot and stalk, and I also have done some still hunting, and again no luck (also fairly sure I was not quiet or still enough haha). I also have a few trail cams in areas I hope to hunt and will grab them before opener to see if its worth stumbling around out there.

Just wondering what works best for any successful hunters down here. I am thinking of finding an area of sign/game trail and jump into a tree saddle similar to whitetail hunting in the Midwest.

Thanks!

Your are in for alot of silences from everyone. San Diego is pressured and most guys won't say a peep. There is a local forum for the area called SCHOutdoors. Might be a good resource.

OP
timr00ger

timr00ger

FNG
Your are in for alot of silences from everyone. San Diego is pressured and most guys won't say a peep. There is a local forum for the area called SCHOutdoors. Might be a good resource.
Thank you, I will check it out!