San Isabel National Forest

Hello, New guy here. I'm from Ohio, and looking at San Isabel National Forest area for my first DIY elk hunt in 2020. Am I being to ambitions here? I see the elevation is around 8-10K feet, too much for a newb?? Any input is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

mckayam1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, New guy here. I'm from Ohio, and looking at San Isabel National Forest area for my first DIY elk hunt in 2020. Am I being to ambitions here? I see the elevation is around 8-10K feet, too much for a newb?? Any input is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Came from Maine to Colorado last year driving. While Maine doesn't have altitude, no peak higher then 6000, but we have many mountains and a lot that go from just above sea level, to 3000 plus feet. But where I live is only 300 feet above elevation. So the hiking and leg strength wasn't an issue. I did take some anti altitude sickness pills on the way out. We called first night at 8400 feet, and climbed to almost 10,000 by the end of the next day. Camped there that night. Had a slight headache the next morning. Never had an issue the rest of trip. Didn't go higher than 10000. Everyone is differnt, so not sure if that helps. I also did a lot of heavy pack training the last 4 months before trip. For what it's worth I feel like am quite physically fit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
If you've had a problem with elevation, plan an extra layover day to acclimate. I did this my first year as I had a bad case of altitude sickness previously.

Now I'll just camp at about 9k the first night and hunt higher starting the next morning.

For me, upping my water intake and a few carbs (or more carbs) seems to help especially the first couple days.

OP
B
If you've had a problem with elevation, plan an extra layover day to acclimate. I did this my first year as I had a bad case of altitude sickness previously.

Now I'll just camp at about 9k the first night and hunt higher starting the next morning.

For me, upping my water intake and a few carbs (or more carbs) seems to help especially the first couple days.

That makes sense to me. Have you hunted this area before?