San Juan Elk Ridge

Ursus

FNG
I’m getting close to drawing on this dream hunt. I really want to put in the time to prepare for it. If any of you have suggestions for resources that will help me learn more about it, I’d appreciate it.
I already have Topos on order and Google Earth to learn the country better.

Thank you!

I would take a vacation or two there. During the season you are planning on hunting would be beneficial.

Fitzwho

WKR
If you have the points, might want to try getting a cow elk tag a year or two before you have the hunt. I haven’t done anything but drive thru that unit a hand full of times.

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
If you have the points, might want to try getting a cow elk tag a year or two before you have the hunt. I haven’t done anything but drive thru that unit a hand full of times.
That makes a lot of sense, I’ll look into it. Thank you

TexasCub

WKR
I’m getting close to drawing on this dream hunt. I really want to put in the time to prepare for it. If any of you have suggestions for resources that will help me learn more about it, I’d appreciate it.
I already have Topos on order and Google Earth to learn the country better.

Thank you!
How many points do you have and are you a resident or non resident? That used to be an amazing unit but the quality has really gone downhill over the years. There are still some nice bulls up there but not like say 10 years ago.

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
How many points do you have and are you a resident or non resident? That used to be an amazing unit but the quality has really gone downhill over the years. There are still some nice bulls up there but not like say 10 years ago.
I’ve got 20 points as a resident so next year I should be able to draw archery out late season. I’d still be minimum five years away from muzzy or rifle.
I’d heard the quality was down. Sadly I’m hearing that throughout the state and in waiting for a rifle tag may have missed the golden age of elk in Utah

TexasCub

WKR
Yeah it’s kind of sad watching the area deteriorate the way it has. Drought and predators has done a doozy on it. I have family in Blanding and have been in those mountains for different hunts and camping many times over the last damn near 30 years. Father in law drew late season rifle elk year before last and trying to find him a big bull was tough, and then trying to find a decent bull that wasn’t busted up was hard too. And these guys are all retired with plenty of time to scout and they know that area like the back of their hand. There’s always a few big bulls killed in the first rifle season but there’s a lot of leg work that goes into finding them and staying on them. If your gonna hunt it , I’d do it as soon as your able to draw, the good old days are today!

I’ve got 20 points as a resident so next year I should be able to draw archery out late season. I’d still be minimum five years away from muzzy or rifle.
I’d heard the quality was down. Sadly I’m hearing that throughout the state and in waiting for a rifle tag may have missed the golden age of elk in Utah
What do you mean archery late season? There's a late rifle hunt, no late archery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
What do you mean archery late season? There's a late rifle hunt, no late archery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Right, it was early archery or late season rifle. Apologies for the confusion.