San Juan islands?

Anyone ever hunt blacktail in the San juans? I'm mainly interested in cypress island because of the state land. I know the deer are small out there but could probably get 2nd deer tags to feel the freezer thanks.

Jameson

FNG
I’ve hunted a couple different islands in the San Juan’s. They are small but they eat just fine. I’ve had some luck knocking on doors when you see deer out in someone’s field. In my experience People on the islands either feed and name the deer and don’t want you to shoot them or they want them dead because they eat everything in their flowerbeds.

VO2Max

FNG
As mentioned, you’ll find mixed attitudes towards killing BT deer on any of the San Juan islands. Best bet is to meet a local and see if they’d let you hunt their land. Parcels are rather small at 5acres being a typical piece of property but many times adjacent land owners will let you hunt if their neighbor allows it. If you are an archery hunter, your odds will skyrocket as people don’t like the idea of you shooting a shotgun ( needed in the San Juan’s) nest homes. Cyprus has more public land than most any other island up here... Orcas has high deer densities but most on that island don’t want hunters killing deer. San Juan Island, where Friday harbor is, is having a great number of deer dying d/t starvation... odd since the entire island is green but it’s happening. If you go into it knowing you’ll be hunting does, as that’s what the locals want tone as they’re the baby makers, you likely find that people are amenable to you hunting their land or know someone who is.

Bongo

FNG
I am interested in this too I wouldn't really know where to begin finding locals that would let you hunt their property. I've heard Cypress is a pretty trying hunt with a lot of deer but very difficult to find em

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I've personally never seen a buck that went over 100" come off Cypress. There are other areas that hold bigger deer, but it would still be an adventure.

OP
C
I would be more than happy with a 100" deer pope and young works😁Have you spent much time there? And how were the deer numbers ? I would probably have to shuttle in so probably no scouting just a blow and go, thanks.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I haven't spend much time there, my good friend was the fish pen manager for American Gold Seafoods. They were the company who was responsible for that pen that broke free a few years ago. He would send me picture frequently of the deer there, lots of deer but lower quality bucks. I also have another friend from the islands who hunts those islands every year for the second deer tag (his tag or family member). Overall the island deer up that way are stunted, much like a Sitka Blacktail. I have seen a few mashers come out of Whidbey, Lopez and Orcas but there is a lot of private land there. Any island hunt is an adventure, but if I was looing for trophy quality blacktail I'd personally stick to the Puget Sound area and eastern foothills of the Olympics. More genetic diversity, more public lands, and overall bigger deer.