San Juans, Flat Tops, Sangres = Worthless

Poser

WKR
I ran into Two hunters with that tag while biking the CO Trail through unit 74 last Aug/Sept. the most surprising to me was one morning when I woke up to see a herd of big bucks by my camp and watched a rifle hunter stalk them. He ended up passing on them and I went over to talk with him. He was a member of the Southern Ute tribe and gets a buck tag, bull tag, sheep tag, goat tag, and a moose tag, all rifle for the entire length of the hunting season. Crazy!

ahlgringo

WKR
I ran into Two hunters with that tag while biking the CO Trail through unit 74 last Aug/Sept. the most surprising to me was one morning when I woke up to see a herd of big bucks by my camp and watched a rifle hunter stalk them. He ended up passing on them and I went over to talk with him. He was a member of the Southern Ute tribe and gets a buck tag, bull tag, sheep tag, goat tag, and a moose tag, all rifle for the entire length of the hunting season. Crazy!

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR

That being said, I don’t get the feeling very many SU take advantage of that since they can hunt on the reservation. The guy I talked with was older, a retired navy diver, and he said that he wasn’t even aware of that privilege until a couple of years ago and that he didn’t know any other SU who hunted the Ntl Forrest.

tdhanses

WKR
That being said, I don’t get the feeling very many SU take advantage of that since they can hunt on the reservation. The guy I talked with was older, a retired navy diver, and he said that he wasn’t even aware of that privilege until a couple of years ago and that he didn’t know any other SU who hunted the Ntl Forrest.

I think they wait for the wintering grounds to fill up then go shoot them. I hunt next to the Southern Ute res and have never seen a tribal member hunting either.