San Rafael North Tag Return

MQQSE

FNG
I have one packed fall and although I have applied for this tag for a long time I don't know if I can fit this hunt in. I wanted to get some opinions and see what some of you would suggest I do.

I drew in the bonus point draw and I think had a 1 in 5 chance on drawing in that round. So, I am not guaranteed on drawing that tag in the next few years, but at least have a decent chance.

This year my wife will probably divorce me and I should certainly get fired! :) I have a Yukon stone sheep hunt in August and leave for Whitehorse on 8/13 and return on 8/31. I also drew a Colorado bighorn tag and that hunt starts on 9/3. The unit I drew is S20 and could take some serious effort. With this antelope hunt starting on 9/14 and me not having a ton of time to scout I am afraid I may be wasting the tag. I don't need a monster antelope or sheep for that matter, but don't want to waste either experience.

My son also has a Book Cliffs cow bison tag that opens on 9/21, so it would be nice to stay in Utah the week leading up to his hunt and get an antelope and then scout for bison. I suppose the real decision hinges upon if I can get a sheep by 9/10 or not. Lots of variables for sure. Not to mention what my wife will say when I really fill her in with all this stuff and the reality of it.

So there it is for what it is worth. I know it sounds silly to have such a "problem" but it's a real question since it's such a great tag. Any advice is appreciated.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man, I would hang onto that tag for sure. Those dates are great and finding antelope is certainly not a problem. Good bucks are very common and the country is covered in road access. You could be done hunting in a few hours if you weren’t too picky.

toasty

FNG
I lived in the unit for 20 years and still hunt it occasionally. It is tough to find an 80" buck in the unit, however, if you are good with a low to mid 70's buck you can do that hunt in a 1/2 day. Finding a decent buck is easy, finding a really good buck is really hard. If you have heart is set of a B&C buck, turn the tag back in. If you are happy with a P&Y buck, go out and get it done in a day.

toasty

FNG
I will also add that you don't need time to scout to shoot a good buck. Drive south on HW10 from price and take the first few roads to to the east and you will find animals. On X will be a big help because you can't tell the BLM from the private out there. The best bucks will be with the largest harems at that time. PM if you keep the tag and I will give you a couple access roads.

OP
MQQSE

MQQSE

FNG
I will also add that you don't need time to scout to shoot a good buck. Drive south on HW10 from price and take the first few roads to to the east and you will find animals. On X will be a big help because you can't tell the BLM from the private out there. The best bucks will be with the largest harems at that time. PM if you keep the tag and I will give you a couple access roads.

Thanks Toasty

I'll be in touch.