Sanctuary vs fanatic bibs

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I have the solitude and love the set up of the pockets. I love having the pouch that sits up top on my chest and pockets on the front of the legs. Those come in handy in a tree stand!! But I'm finding out wind is not my friend. I was in a stand this weekend. 41 degrees and 15-20 mph winds. Was fine for a couple hours but started coming through. I had the furnace base layers on bottom coupled with some UA pants and bibs. Top was kiln, furnace, solitude jacket. I felt the wind in my legs and was kinda surprised. I know that's a good bit of wind and completely exposed.

So I'm wondering should I go for the sanctuary? I don't like how it doesn't appear to have the same pockets and sits lower on chest. Can anyone confirm? Which kinda led me to the fanatic but I have nothing else from Sitka. I thought about getting just some pants to break the wind but for the price of pants I could sell the solitude and get the sanctuary bibs or add some and get the fanatic.

I own the solitude, sanctuary, and fanatic (2019) sets, so I feel like I have a somewhat informed opinion as to your question. I used the Fanatic set all last weekend in west central Illinois where we had similar wind but much colder temperatures. The answer really comes down to your local climate and hunting style. The Fanatic and Solitude sets have better designs, with what is essentially a built-in handwarmer pocket and other niceties.
You have discovered, as did I, that the wind can really cut through the Solitude. I bought the Fanatic Set for that very purpose, hunting in sustained winds over 10mph. I am impressed with the Solitude set, but its performance really lags in windy conditions.
The Sanctuary set isn't windproof, but the added insulation helps somewhat combat it. I now wear the sanctuary if I'm in a box blind, on the ground, or in low wind conditions. If wind is disregarded, I believe the sanctuary is slightly warmer than the Fanatic as I can tolerate the warmth generated by walking much easier in the Fanatic than the Sanctuary (which is an advantage for the Fanatic in many instances).
Fanatic did great last weekend in frigid conditions (5 degrees, 15mph winds) the pocket layout is great. If your temps never get much colder than what you mentioned above. I would strongly consider the stratus set with strategic layering. (Sitka might actually be revamping this, so you will want to wait until they release 2020 product line to see if they do which might present a better option or a flood of stratus sets being sold on secondary market). The stratus is wind proof but lacking insulation. You could combine that with the furnace set and other layers to hunt a wide variety of conditions.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I actually called Sitka about a question I had about their jackets and the guy said you may wanna wait until our new stuff comes out. He said he couldn't go into detail but things are being revamped and based off what I asked I would be super excited.

I love the solitude bit it seems like evertime I'm in the stand the wind is 15ph or so. Some days maybe 50 degrees and that wind other days in the 30s.

I actually called first lite to see if the solitudes and sanctuary bibs were gonna be revamped and he said no. Will be the same. I love the hand warmer pocket kangaroo pouch and the large zipper on the chest. So I may just get some obsidian Merino pants and see if they helps. Planned on picking those up anyway . Maybe another light layer to go under the furnace bottoms for those super cold days. I thought that would be enough already but the wind after a couple hours was cold.

I played around with sancuptuary vs solitude vs fanatic this year. Agree with everything said above. I ended up buying to solitude but I don’t think I would be as happy if I hunted in a lot of wind. It has been fine in light rain and temps down to 20 with some layering.

Fanatic was my second choice but it is very specialized to whitetail hunting. I was won over but the versatility of the solitude. I hope I don’t regret my decision based on lack of windproof ing.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I played around with sancuptuary vs solitude vs fanatic this year. Agree with everything said above. I ended up buying to solitude but I don’t think I would be as happy if I hunted in a lot of wind. It has been fine in light rain and temps down to 20 with some layering.

Fanatic was my second choice but it is very specialized to whitetail hunting. I was won over but the versatility of the solitude. I hope I don’t regret my decision based on lack of windproof ing.
Sitting in an open stand in high wind isn't condusive for the solitude. I mean it took a few hours to start getting cold but I did. That was with furnace bottom layer and UA early season pants. My upper body was fine with kiln, furnace and solitude jacket

Have you looked into added the uncompahgre to your arsenal? I never leave the truck without mine, I own the jacket and the vest. You later that under your jacket and boom wind proof. My legs don’t feel the wind as much as my core does so I haven’t gotten the bottoms yet. But sitting yesterday in 15* with a 10-15mph sustained wind it cut right through the bottoms but my top was fine. That uncompahgre is where it’s at it’s lightweight warm wind proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I have owned both Fanatic and sanctuary bibs and now I just own one.....Fanatic, hands down better design and pocket layout. Would like to pick up a beat up one in large for cheap and use it for camping.

If the stratus is updated with some insulation - like the solitude set - Sitka will get me as a customer this year for my treestand clothing.

I do love the FL catalyst set for 40 and above. Plus, it’s versatile for active late season hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat 5 hours this morning in 22 degrees, 8 mph wind (12-15 gusts occasionally), 16 wind chill.

Top:
250g smartwool
Kiln
Klamath
Woodbury

Bottom:
250g smartwool
Browning Hells Canyon Backcountry FM pants
Solitude bibs

I carried the Klamath, Woodbury, and solitude bibs to the tree. Everything but the Woodbury went on at the base before I climbed up, which was a mistake. I got a little hot climbing and slight chill once I was settled in, but the merino did its job and the chill was gone after a bit. I could probably go a little colder and be fine, but I think I’ll add a furnace set next year and see if I can shed a layer. Doesn’t get much colder than this during season here.

If the stratus is updated with some insulation - like the solitude set - Sitka will get me as a customer this year for my treestand clothing.

Same. I have the solitude bibs and have the same complaint as the OP.. if there is a little wind, even 45 degrees feels cold in them. But at 25 and calm, they are warmer than the stratus. Thought about getting some cheap wind breaker pants from walmart and seeing what happens.

I'm not sure I could own the fanatic because I would have to spend 4 hours picking burrs out of them after each hunt - the stratus are bad enough for that and the main reason I went with the solitude.

Diesel

WKR
Same. I have the solitude bibs and have the same complaint as the OP.. if there is a little wind, even 45 degrees feels cold in them. But at 25 and calm, they are warmer than the stratus. Thought about getting some cheap wind breaker pants from walmart and seeing what happens.

I'm not sure I could own the fanatic because I would have to spend 4 hours picking burrs out of them after each hunt - the stratus are bad enough for that and the main reason I went with the solitude.
I really like the solitude set layout but have not committed because of what you are saying here about wind. I don't like the Fanatic as it fits too tight and has the diagonal zipper.

Waiting for the new Stratus and very disappointed that it is out so far. If it isn't going to fit the bill I will pass again on filling this gap in my kit. Just too expensive to not have it do what you need.

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
The stratus line is being discontinued per the representative I spoke to on the phone. I made a separate thread about it on this forum

OP
J

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider

I thought about the same as you about a cheap wind breaker option. It sucks to me that for that price point you have to do that, but I love the layout of the pockets. Everything is handy and they fit well. Sigh