Sandbag workouts

Tbaxl

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 50-125 pound sandbag on the way to get me through till June then I’m putting a home gym in. I have a basic idea of the routine I want to do, but does anybody else here that uses a sandbag have a routine they use and don’t mind sharing.

I don't have much of a sandbag "routine", but alternating short, heavy rucks and moderately-weighted longer rucks is a good way to simulate hunting situations.

I also like incorporating heavy sandbag getups as accessory lifts/conditioning following my mainstay barbell lifts.

OP
T

Tbaxl

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have much of a sandbag "routine", but alternating short, heavy rucks and moderately-weighted longer rucks is a good way to simulate hunting situations.

I also like incorporating heavy sandbag getups as accessory lifts/conditioning following my mainstay barbell lifts.
What you said is kind of my plan. I’ll definitely be tossing the sandbag into my pack for rucking, easy way to add weight. Till I get my gym installed it’ll be my primary form for working out since the gyms are closed. After that it’ll be for conditioning/strength and just to mix things up a little.

Bubdog

FNG
Check out the fitness blender channel on youtube. They have three sandbag videos that I have used for conditioning. I have used a kettlebell where they call to do sandbag swings, otherwise I have used a 60lb sandbag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I keep it pretty basic and a few times a week do a quick timed session to see where I’m at.

I’ll do:
-10 squats
-10 deadlifts
-10 overhead presses
-10 bent over rows
-10 bench presses

x5 for time. Throw in a few sprints or a quick 10 minute set of intervals with a jump rope or a short -~ 2 mile ruck at the end and it’s a solid session, takes anywhere from 30-65 minutes depending on what I do after the sandbag sets.

jmagnumw

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone has a good sandbag work out I’m all ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing special really just starting with 50lbs or whatever you’re capable of and increasing distance/weight every time to build tolerance and strength

LJ Buck

WKR
Do sandbag get ups. If you want to be in great shape for your hunt and also want a database of knowledge of mountain style athletics, check out Mountain Tactical Institute. These guys are about as good as it gets when it comes to knowledge workout plans. Not just another gym trying to sell stuff these guys train mountain professionals.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone Glacier (teamed with Mtn Tough) posted up this workout a couple of years ago

no weight- 2x400m sprints, 2x800m sprints, 2x400m sprints- resting in between each interval the same time as it took to run it

don pack with 60#- 200m of lunges with additional 20# dumbbells if you can (my guess is that the pack should be enough :D)

keep pack on (and dumbbells if desired) and 10 minutes of stair climbs (steps/bleacher/box)

keep pack on and three rounds of 30 second planks (rest 30 seconds in between)

vomit when necessary :D

OP
T

Tbaxl

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier (teamed with Mtn Tough) posted up this workout a couple of years ago

no weight- 2x400m sprints, 2x800m sprints, 2x400m sprints- resting in between each interval the same time as it took to run it

don pack with 60#- 200m of lunges with additional 20# dumbbells if you can (my guess is that the pack should be enough :D)

keep pack on (and dumbbells if desired) and 10 minutes of stair climbs (steps/bleacher/box)

That sounds like absolute torture

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If anyone has a good sandbag work out I’m all ears

I just posted the one I do.

mine weighs 100lbs

-10 squats
-10 over head presses
-10 dead lifts
-10 bent over rows
-10 bench

x5 for time that’s 250 reps, I like to use it as sort of a benchmark

other than that, I don’t do as much as I should with the sand bag. I’ll do random 3x10 of over head presses or shoulder squats, I end up taking the inner bags out and strapping them to my pack for hiking.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

that’s sort of a “go to” for when I just can’t decide what to do. There’s a decent park with some stairs nearby where I can get it done.

@atomicathlete has a great 5 (?) day sandbag program they recently put out. It’s completely free on their website. I’ve got a couple of clients running it now that their home gyms are shut down and they’re hating it in the best kind of way ha ha!

psirus7

WKR
Do sandbag get ups. If you want to be in great shape for your hunt and also want a database of knowledge of mountain style athletics, check out Mountain Tactical Institute. These guys are about as good as it gets when it comes to knowledge workout plans. Not just another gym trying to sell stuff these guys train mountain professionals.
Totally agree with LJ Buck, Sandbag Getups and all of MTI's programming is legit.

Pootros

FNG
Brute Force has an app with a different workout every day. My favorite is a pushup to a squat clean and press. 100 for time.
MTN Tough had a horrible one as well which was with a 60lb pack of sandbag:
30 lunges with the pack on your shoulders
30 lunges with the pack overhead
30 lunges with the pack in goblet front rack
Run 400 meters
20 burpees
As many rounds as possible in 45 min. I got four and could barely get off the toilet the next day.

Here is a sand bag workout I got from MTN Tough that they posted as a part of their wild fire firefighter workout on the Filson Facebook page.

12 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of sand bag push press. Then at the top of every minute stop and do 5 burpees. Total score is total reps of push press. I enjoyed this one and got 120 reps in.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here is a sand bag workout I got from MTN Tough that they posted as a part of their wild fire firefighter workout on the Filson Facebook page.

12 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of sand bag push press. Then at the top of every minute stop and do 5 burpees. Total score is total reps of push press. I enjoyed this one and got 120 reps in.

I did this earlier this evening as sort of a finisher after getting back from a timed 3 mile ruck w/50lbs. I lost count but I pushed as hard as I could for the whole 12 minutes. That’s a good one right there.

Texowa

FNG
Download the free Brute Force WOD app. They have daily workouts and challenges..

JD7721

WKR
Another great free app is SMARTWOD Workout Generator. You are able to select what equipment you have available and your skill level. Based off of this information, it will generate a wod. They also have a decent WOD timer.

4baf6156ae8e0b743d9a44d6211f2168.jpg

be1a2d18a2674cf7d293f130817c1990.jpg

1219adbc66bfd076f41419250d21cb9a.jpg

03ebd52fdf50e72ccd48db59642f5903.jpg

bf0fe48d84a29efbbd74aa07b57587c5.jpg