Sasquash

Latest pack design and build. The Sasquash. I'm a giant, the pack is large and it’s meant to quash things between it and my beloved 15 year old Kifaru Duplex frame.

Whether I go on a 2 hour Sunday afternoon June hike or a 2 day February ice climbing trip or a 2 week October canoe trip to Quetico, there are always things I want and need. First aid kit, sweater, dry socks, pot, fire starter, rain gear, water purifier, etc. No matter what, I want to have those items. Other items carried are contingent on activity, duration, and time of year. More insulation, food, activity specific gear (ropes, food barrel, video gear, etc.), etc. Then I can add those items to the frame, and remove them when I don't need them. Everything else stays in one place, avoiding the dreaded, "rats.... I forgot my ..... in my other pack."

I've tried a few approaches to this idea, but this one gets me closer to the ideal set-up. I think. We'll see. :sneaky:

I made an earlier take on this that was a full suspension pack in its own right in addition to being able to be carried on a frame. (A copy of the Kifaru Omni frame.) This time I opted to just have the ability to attach shoulder straps - no stays or frame sheet or waist belt attachment points - and to mainly have it be carried on the frame.

Here it is with a dry bag attached. I'll be making 2 different sized pack sacks that fit on here.

The pack itself with the compression straps removed, and the back with Kifaru X-Ray straps attached.

Just the compression straps themselves, removed from the pack.

If I want I can utilize just the compression straps to carry a load on the frame.

Here you can see the degree of squashage that can be achieved.

The mesh on the back allows for (hopefully) a little bit of breathability and also holds a ½" foam pad. Both to add a bit of form and rigidity to the pack and also to pull out as a sit pad.

The sides, showing the trekking poles.

Another view without the trekking poles to show how they're attached. There are two ½" pieces of webbing and cord locked bungee cord to hold them in place.
You can also see the five tabs to hold the compression straps in place if I use it in pack mode without the Duplex frame. And, you can see how the compression straps are attached to the Duplex frame.
I made the water bottle holders so the straps can route behind them.

Top lid and bottom. I hemmed and hawed about putting a pouch up there like the Kifaru Express for instance has. Decided to put some tabs so I could attach a pouch I might make later. Also added some tabs that allow me to attach Kifaru Pods if I wanted.
Bottom also allows for Kifaru Pod attachment and has a covered drain hole.

The cargo straps also allow me to lash a poncho, blanket, rain jacket, wet tarp I want to dry out, under it.

I put a mesh zippered pocket in the top lid.
Another feature of Kifaru's packs I really like are their Chamber Pockets. I wanted to add that feature here as well.
I modified a NiteIze RunOff pouch so that I could carry it like a chamber pocket as well.

I made the mesh pouch removeable, and if I was so inclined, I could mount PALS back pouches on the Velcro.

OP
Exploriment
Also made a rifle carrier based on the Kifaru GunBearer, so that a rifle or shotgun could be lashed under the pack.

Another item I made to go hand in hand with this is the BigButt, a groundsheet with a twist.

The foam sheet that sits along the back of the pack can be inserted into a pocket on the front of this.

I can also take the trekking poles, insert them into a pocket on the back, and turn it into a chair. I based it on the Jerry Chair, Mountainsmith has a similar idea. Kifaru's FieldChair was another inspiration here.

It attaches to the bottom. I can either take it right off, or just unroll a part of it if I want to have a dry spot to sit on a break.

Also made the Yet-Mor-I, a pouch that attached to the front to increase the volume.

The straps on the back are spaced so the compression straps can route through.

It's about 27" high, 9" wide and 4" deep at the bottom, and 12' wide and 6" deep at the top. (I'm 6'7" and 255 lbs. for reference.)

I'm not sure, but I reckon it's around the +- 35 liter mark. With the Yet-Mor-I, the volume increases about 10 liters. It's a very comprehensive pack in its own right.

So far, very happy with it.

OP
Exploriment
Thats an awesome setup! I get the feeling you might be retired and bored.

Ha! Definitely not retired! But I did get laid off for two months. (A very large portion of what the company I work for does is in the aerospace industry. Boeing mainly. It may take a while for that tail to swing round, but swing round it will.) Used the time very productively. Was also off for a while earlier this year. While the rest of the world seemed to spend their time watching white trash zoo-keepers, I've been sewing and making like a fiend.