Satellite internet

Apollo117

WKR
How about cell repeaters? It’s there something I could put up on the ridge that will bounce the signal down into the canyon where our house is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might work. Is there a fixed wireless provider in your area? Fixed wireless is significantly better than satellite internet.

If there is a fixed wireless provider in your area, then you'd need a pair of unidirectional antennas to repeat the signal from the ridge to the cabin. Ubiquiti makes good unidirectional antennas.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
That might work. Is there a fixed wireless provider in your area? Fixed wireless is significantly better than satellite internet.

If there is a fixed wireless provider in your area, then you'd need a pair of unidirectional antennas to repeat the signal from the ridge to the cabin. Ubiquiti makes good unidirectional antennas.

This sounds interesting

Sounds like time for the Pringles can hack for wireless internet.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Talked to someone else with sat internet today and gave a horrible review. Going to hike in the iPad and phone later this week and see if I can get enough signal to do a hotspot from the phone to iPad to run zoom. If it works out I’ll setup my 12x12 cabelas pack tent on the ridge and cut a quick trail up there so my kid can have a remote class room

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I would rather lose hunting privlages for a year then give hughes net one more cent.
1500-2000ms latencey is their normal
50gb a month that is gone in 2 days.
the crappiest customer service ever.
even worse is their tech support. Sir your out of data would you like to buy tokens.
when their service is broke and can ping a stateless connection but not hold a stated connection and they say its the data limit.
If they figure out your not using their crappy modem as a router they will terminate your service.

WVBowman

FNG
We have heard it’s not great, but in our area we only have one option for Internet and it is horrible. Have been thinking about trying it.

If you're moving out into the sticks why worry about internet. Isn't that just part of the package?

I had Hughsnet back in 2001-2003, only broadband available at the time. When dsl was available I got that but kept the satellite stuff in case I moved out of town where there wasn't any internet service. I normally defaulted to dial up for send and satellite receive even though I had 2 way satellite. It was much quicker that way. For email and ordering stuff it would be ok but no streaming YouTube or Netflix etc. Or gaming.

Last edited:

Bebtawki

FNG
Had Hughesnet for a 2 year contract, it was a waste of money due to speeds and data cap. We used our phones instead and cancelled after the 2 years was up.

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
We use Viasat internet at our house. It is night and day difference from dish network Service which we previously had. With the Viasat gold package my wife and I can both work from home (Skype, webex, ect) as well as streaming Netflix & Disney+ for the kids. It’s not 4K streaming, buts it good enough and our only option...only downside is that it’s pretty expensive, about $150 a month.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Hughes is terrible. I have not had it but several relatives have and none do now. We had to use an old non-functional radio tower and put a repeater on it to shoot it to our house since we don’t have line of sight to the tower with the fixed wireless on it. Downside is you have to find a way to power the repeater.

Zee

FNG
Used to live in a rural area that had satellite internet. speed wasn't really an issue but bandwidth caps and data limits were certainly a problem. got something like 30gigs for the month and anything more than that cost extra. If you are doing video streaming which is usually the case for online classes it could become an issue.

OXN939

WKR
We use Viasat internet at our house. It is night and day difference from dish network Service which we previously had. With the Viasat gold package my wife and I can both work from home (Skype, webex, ect) as well as streaming Netflix & Disney+ for the kids. It’s not 4K streaming, buts it good enough and our only option...only downside is that it’s pretty expensive, about $150 a month.

Looking at one of Viasat's bronze or Silver plans, anyone got experience with those options? Still more expensive than Hughesnet, but hopefully a "get what you pay for" kinda proposition

bertha

FNG
Had Hughes. Sucks. The latency kills so many applications. We do better with the Cricket Wireless data plan and it also sucks. Cost of doing bidness here in the weeds.
same with me
o.png

Apollo117

WKR
sending this post back up since we are moving to an area that only has the option of Hughes net or a hotspot from Tmobile
Hughesnet is consistently bad across all my experience with their service and support.

The T-Mobile hotspot will most likely be leaps and bounds better than Hughesnet. However, double check to see if they impose a data cap. Most cell service providers impose a data cap to residential customers. If you own your own company or work for a company that will pay for your internet it's definitely worth looking into a commercial plan with T-Mobile, since they often waive the data cap on commercial plans.

SonnyDay

WKR
This may be off topic, but does anyone have experience with mobile satellite internet? With all this remote work I am thinking of taking the fam on an extended road trip to points back of beyond...