Satellite Phone for my Elk Hunt?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Now if there is one thing that I take very seriously when hunting no matter how big or small the trip is safety is priority number 1 on my list. So I will be heading to New Mexico next week for a rifle elk hunt and I will be using a guide service that I have used before. now I am sure the guide that will be with me will have a gps and other forms of communication and I have my cell phone which only works so well but I thought about renting a satellite phone just as a major back up. Does anyone have experience with these or maybe some input or thoughts on the idea?

Gila

WKR
I have an inreach mini and like it, so does the wife as it sends a map of my location with the text or email. I have an old deactivated note 3 that I bluetooth to the inreach which makes it easier to text and see the map of where you are. Also I have the rescue insurance through the garmin service. I usually deactivate the service during the summers months.

Inreach is great, but if you only need something for a week renting a sat phone would likely be less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
A very personal decision whether you want to have it in the circumstances you describe, but in terms of how to do it--I have rented a sat phone a few times from Explorer Satellite and it has been a good experience each time at what seemed like a very reasonable price. They FedEx it to you with a prepaid box to send it back. Amazing technology. It can pull you out of your hunt experience and right back into home or work life for good or ill.

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
I was I your situation with an upcoming backcountry hunt. Decided to get an inreach se + with maps. Can txt and send location. Pretty reasonable plans for communications. I’ll hopefully use it in Africa next year if things work out.