Sausage Mix % question

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
All of the reciepe's for sausage that I have used are using pork fat. Lots of ways to do it and many get straight pork fat from a butcher. I usually get pork belly from costco and grind it then mix it in which is a pain in the butt if you don't have a mixer. It's super important that you mix the fat season and cure very well and a meat mixer makes this much easier. If your doing it by hand I would recommend getting insulated gloves that come up almost to your elbows. People recommend 10 minutes of mixing with a mixer but at least double that if your doing it by hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Ba...ords=pulled+pork+gloves&qid=1576256901&sr=8-4

Titan

WKR
I have always seen that figure as pork fat.

I always just use whatever pork is on sale at the grocery store and it always turns out great. I figure that stuff is probably only 20% fat. I can't imagine using straight fat.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I have always seen that figure as pork fat.

I always just use whatever pork is on sale at the grocery store and it always turns out great. I figure that stuff is probably only 20% fat. I can't imagine using straight fat.
I've seen guys use this strategy and it seems to work great. Most charcuterie books call for straight pork fat. If you use use a pork sholder that is 20% fat and mix it with wild game meat (super lean) 80/20 then you would end up with somewhere around 5% fat content. It seems pretty low. There is a company called waltons that sells everything you need and then some for making sausage. They have a pretty awesome side of the site dedicated to teaching you all the ends and outs that is called Meatgistics University. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/

ChrisS

WKR
I mix mine 80-20 and use pork butts. It is plenty of fat for all types of sausage. I wouldn't want the fat content any higher.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Similar, except I do 66/33. A pork shoulder by itself is considered the proper ratio for sausage, but I like the way the mix comes out.

Recipes will generally call for straight pork back fat. I've tried calling around and can't find that for less than $5/lb, which is silly when I can get pork shoulders for less than $1.50/lb.

Trial153

WKR
Pork usually in sausage lingo is pork butt, shoulder, trimmed to a 1/4. Pork fat will be stated as Pork fat and should come from the back or trimmed off the top sirloin.

It really depends on what sausage your making. There isnt fixed amount across the board. Italian sausage is going to be different than Kabasa or farmers sausage so without knowing what your making its pretty hard to give a good answer for alternative ratio.

Any way for plain old hot or sweet Italian sausage that will be IN casings. I find 80 venison to 20 pork butt is way too lean. I go 60/40 if I am using pork butt.
Or better still I like too add adding straight pork fat from the back. MY ratio for a 10 pound batch will look like this 7 pounds of venison, 1 pound of fat, 2 pounds of pork.

remember you can cook fat out but you cant put it in......

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Slow day at the office .. made these today
c84b123fac742cc51df218165ce00a79.jpg

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I used 30/70 with the 30% being pork shoulder. I had no complaints and thought it turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• saus.jpg
    saus.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 26