Sausage stuffer reccomendations

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! That's why I bought the stuffer. I used a friend's stuffer and grinder for a few years while buying my own butchering gear. I held off on the stuffer, but was mad at myself every time I used the grinder.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
For god sakes please don't get a gander mountain if they are still out there. Complete and utter junk.

MHB

FNG
I would recommend looking at a horizontal stuffer in the 15 to 25lb range. I have a 11lb vertical stuffer and end up with about a pound and a half of waste that can't be stuffed due the the angled tube at the bottom. I have tried the ice, bread, etc. and never really had great results in getting the remainder of the product cased with these methods.

I find that the 11lb stuffer works for what I do (Snack stix, summer sausage, brats, etc.). I run out of casing about the time I need to refill the stuffer, so having a 25lb unit wouldn't really benefit me all that much because I would be stopping to reload the casing anyway. I will be upgrading to a 15lb horizontal unit in the near future though, as it is also easier for a one person to run since there is less leverage on your work table.

The 2 speed gear box is very important to me as it makes reloading much easier. Be careful not to use the high speed for stuffing on smaller stuffing tubes though, I stripped out the gear box on mine and had to replace it ($60.00 for the parts at waltons).

Matt

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Best stuffer out there is an F. Dick out of Germany. I have a 30 pound model. It’s not cheap. Think it cost us around $1800. But we make 1500 pounds of sausage each year.

muddydogs

WKR
You might look around at yard sales etc for an old Enterprise stuffer, sometimes they can be had for dirt cheap. The Enterprise is an old cast iron stuffer thats hard to beat. I would suggest that if you do go looking do a little Google research so you know what your looking at and which parts are present or missing. Parts are still available online for this stuffer from Chop Rite who makes a newer version.

I was given a #31 Enterprise 12 pound many years ago, yep I wish it was bigger, that I packed around from place to place. When I got into messing around with sausage I stripped all the old paint off the stuffer, seasoned it like a cast iron skillet and purchased a couple parts. I would like a bigger stuffer but this old stuffer gets the job done with ease and is cool looking as well.

r6Cn4Xz.jpg

RAPTOR

WKR
I have a Weston 7lb stuffer that works really well. A bigger capacity doesn't matter to me, I just reload it and keep going.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I have LEM with 15 lb capacity. Only complaint is I wish it were bigger. It works really well.

I wouldn't get any less than 15lb capacity.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Completely agree! absolutely have constantly reloading it!

gburk

WKR
Best stuffer out there is an F. Dick out of Germany. I have a 30 pound model. It’s not cheap. Think it cost us around $1800. But we make 1500 pounds of sausage each year.
Just pulled the trigger on a "Dick stuffer" too, i can't see spending good money on Chinese equipment. (This is probably when I learn that Herr Dick has also outsourced his manufacturing to East Asia... :cry:)

The 30lb hand crank LEM is not recommended for snack stick sizes, which is where these things prove their worth. Apparently the LEM motorized stuffer *does* do snack sticks, but i can't get an explanation from LEM about why it's different. Don't really want the additional complexity of a motorized unit... I've got helpers around here who can turn a crank... (what am I feeding them for, anyways?)

I talked to Kirby Campbell out of Florida about his PVC water pressure stuffer, which is intriguing, but he wouldn't offer a 15 or 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so I've shied away from that. It seems like it works well but more setup than i'd want to mess with routinely?

So, Merry Christmas to me from F. Dick. Pretty excited about it. :D