Sausage stuffers, plastic or metal tubes?

FYI - I stuffed 15 pounds of pork Chorizo with the Hakka last night. This thing stuffed so easy!! So glad I picked this up - I'll be making a lot more sausage in the future...

Tod osier

WKR
FYI - I stuffed 15 pounds of pork Chorizo with the Hakka last night. This thing stuffed so easy!! So glad I picked this up - I'll be making a lot more sausage in the future...

I thought you would like it. Did you get horizontal or vertical? I have a horizontal 15 and really like it. It seems that parts are readily available now (always a risk not being able to get parts) on amazon and ebay. I bought an extra set of piston gaskets to have on hand, but they also have stuff like the gears available too.

I was just doing a final clean up this morning and reassembling, was thinking "I need to get a spare piston seal or two". Just got them off amazon. I added bout 2 cups of water to the 15 pounds of chorizo (very dry with all the spices), and it was smooth a silk to stuff. I can't imagine needing gears unless you seriously abuse it.

I got the vertical. This thing is tall - I'll have to lay it on its side for storage. A cover for it might be a good DIY sewing project...

Azdon

FNG
I've been using a very old Enterprise cast iron for the past 40 years. In those 40 years I replaced the metal tube once. It was not worn out, a family member lost it!! Metal all the way!!

I have the LEM 5 lb stuffer. I use the metal tubes and they work great. Just to add I regret not springing for a bigger stuffer. Even the 15 lb would work great for me. I opted for the smaller one as I was concerned about having the room to store it in the kitchen. In retropect I should have figured out the storage and got a bigger stuffer.

Just used this thing again tonight. Its a regular tool now, even when just buying burger. I tend to get about 20 pounds at a time and stuff it into two pound bags, which is the right amount for most meals based on burger for my family (enchiladas, spaghetti, etc..).