Sausage/Venison Grind Ideas

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pretty successful season and ended up with a lot of venison grind meat. I plan to grind it all at once and make a bunch stuff. My go to has been pattied venison bacon burgers, smoked jalapeno cheddar brats, various summer sausages, and I always package some bulk with 10% beef fat for cooking. Any ideas are appreciated! I'm ready to mix it up!

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I made snack sticks (lil smokiness) with my cow elk with Jalapeño seasoning from Waltons and I added high melt ghost pepper (not really that hot) cheese. It is AMAZING! All my friends call it crack sticks and constantly asking me to make more which I am going to this weekend.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
How about some German link sausage? It’s by far the #1 thing my family eats. Another thing that’s great is to mix peppers, onions, and cheese chunks into your grind and make steak sized hamburger patties out of them. I’m going to kill a doe or two in January and do the whole damn thing into these. They are great

Joe S

If you saved the liver (or buy beef liver):

In fact, if you want to do something a little fancy, Hank Shaw is the man. His chorizo with game meat is tasty. I don’t usually mess with casing. I just mix in bulk and freeze it for crumbles.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Get a copy of Charcuterie (Ruhlman & Polcyn) and just start trying different recipes. I'm sure there are other good books out there too, that's just the one I have and I've always heard recommended. I'm a big fan of the bratwurst and Italian sausage recipes in that book. The breakfast sausage is good too. I'll be making my way through some of the other recipes once I get ready to grind after the season.

Mike 338

WKR
Sweet Italian Sausage works well for a burger/sausage mix made into meatballs. Had some breakfast sausage made too but haven't tried it yet.

PNWGATOR

WKR
This is a repost, but my feelings are still the same:

My favorite sausage recipe to date. Found the recipe in a Field & Stream magazine at the dentist office and it looked simple and different and extremely flavorful. It's versatile! Good by itself, on a bun w/peppers and onions, any Italian dish, breakfast scramble on pizza, etc. It doesn't disappoint!

Merguez

Merguez is a fiery red lamb sausage from North Africa and this recipe uses wild game and store bought hot Italian sausage.

• 1 lb. venison
• 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 11⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
• 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
• Sheep or hog casings
• Harissa, for serving (optional)
1) Cut the venison into small strips or chunks. Chill the venison, the grinder parts, and the mixing bowl for about 30 minutes in the freezer. Then grind the venison through a 1⁄4‑inch die and refrigerate.
2) Remove the Italian sausage from the casings. Discard the casings. Combine the venison and the Italian sausage filling with the cumin, -paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic, and cilantro.
3) Knead the mixture with your very clean hands to incorporate the spices and fully blend the meats. Refrigerate until ready to stuff.
4) Stuff into rinsed casings, forming links as desired. Allow the sausages to dry on a rack in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
5) These sausages are best cooked over a hot grill. As with all venison sausages, take care not to overcook. Serve with the harissa on the side. Makes about 2lbs.

Hi Country mixes out of Lincoln Montana make some great sausage mixes. They have breakfast, Italian, German, and several other mixes. All of them are excellent and you can order them on-line.

I get cheap fatty pork shoulder roasts as my fat mix. I chunk it up and mix it in with the deer, antelope, elk, or whatever game animal I am grinding up.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I use to Hi Country and make bulk breakfast sausage, and bulk spicy italian for homemade pizza and spaghetti.